Peevish

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Moving into the New Year

So, here we all are, perched on the precipice of a new year. A brand new year, full of promise and possibilities, that's just itching to get started - a blank calendar ready to be filled with appointments, memories, dates, and events.

The WCM and I had an epic argument about a week ago. It was the most powerful argument of our entire marriage, indeed, because the marriage itself hinged on that argument. It lasted two days. Those were tense, miserable days indeed. I am not a confrontational person by nature. I tend to pull back and wait things out - not the best strategy when dealing with my bullish spouse, who will make a big noise, pawing and stamping, charging to get his way. This time, though, I stood my ground and got what I needed. I said my piece - reiterated it, restated it, rephrased it until it was completely understood - and finally won my concessions.

We will be starting therapy this year. We need it. I will no longer accept coming in last in my husband's attention. He will endeavor to remember that intimacy in marriage is as important as companionship. Without the former, one might as well have a roommate.

Peevish Place will be starting out 2010 at the bottom of the hill. It's a good place to start, in my opinion, as one can only climb up.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • Happy New Year Bronwen.

    Keep on Quaking with your ridiculous surname.

    Happy New Year.

    By Blogger garfer, At 7:20 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 1:48 AM  

  • Well done!
    I started watching the Emotional Life series on PBS and the bit on Marriage was interesting.

    I liked the summation on the secret to a healthy marriage; Laughter, Lust, and Loyalty.

    By Blogger Romeo Morningwood, At 1:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home