Peevish

Saturday, January 21, 2006

In which the TV makes me crazy

Ok, so I love TV. I don't watch a lot of any one channel, though. Here in the land of satellite, cable, and digital channels, I don't have to. I rarely watch network TV anymore, unless it's Survivor or American Idol. Ok, occasionally I watch House, but that's because I like Hugh Laurie. It's really strange to hear him speak with an American accent. Really strange.

But I digress. In my channel surfing, I've landed on the Style channel, TLC (The Learning Channel), Food TV (Allez, cuisine!), BBC America, LOGO (because I love the lesbians), and the SciFi channel. I've been a bit miffed with SciFi, though, ever since they cancelled Farscape. Bitches. And, really, there are some shows that just don't appeal on BBC America - Wire in the Blood, Benny Hill reruns (ugh!), Cash in the Attic, Mile High. I just haven't been getting my jones on these channels for a while, so I started watching movies.

Last week, I found myself absolutely glued to the screen during an animated movie. The Triplets of Belleville. This film is utterly bizarre. Completely weird. Cyclists abducted and given IVs of red wine? Triplets sucking frog popsicles? Household appliances as instruments? And yet, I couldn't tear myself away. I wish I had. It's haunting me.

Same goes for the lamentably bad Ella Enchanted. Oh my God, what Hollywood deity did Cary Elwes offend that he can't get a better gig than the evil prince in a pre-teen flick?

Cold Mountain, however, got my attention in a way any other movie not featuring Jude Law getting spectacularly lucky with Nicole Kidman is unlikely to. Holy fucking shit, was that love scene hot. Like, burning holes through my pants hot. My God, do I love to look at Jude Law.

Right now, I'm watching Mystery, Alaska, an ice-hockey themed movie. Funny in spots.

I really need to start reading or something again. Tatting, perhaps. Anything but watching movies.

3 Comments:

  • I've been in that kind of situation, where you put off other shit to watch movies you don't want to watch in the first place. What's worse, is when other people try to pull you down with them. My sister is addicted to Brokeback Mountain, and is trying to get us all to go see it. O_o

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 3:32 PM  

  • 1. Triplets of Belleville--what the hell was that all about? It was so hyped up, and then a trusted friend saw it in the theater and told me not to bother. We rented. Cartoons for adults are, I think, meant to be watched by the sort of adults who like cartoons.

    2. Amen to the love scene in Cold Mountain. I've found myself reacting much less to sappy love scenes and/or gratuitous sex scenes of any kind now that I have a sex life of my own, but I reacted the very same way to that one. And all this even though I find Jude Law to be freak-of-genetics attractive but a complete skeeze.

    By Blogger portuguesa nova, At 1:20 AM  

  • I could get so much more crap done if I didn't have a TV (but then, it'd probably make me insane not to have one too).

    By Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen, At 8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home