Peevish

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Y'all Are Going to Learn Some French Up In Here Today!

I had a teensy contretemps with my second period class today. Two students chose to lie to me about why they were late. Another four students waltzed into class five minutes after the bell rang. So, I confronted them all about it, and was met with belligerence.

I put in a call to Miss Rosie, our school's interventionist. As soon as the students heard that Miss Rosie was coming up to my room, they sobered up, double-quick.

Miss Rosie is a 60ish black woman, who serves up old-fashioned ass-whoopin's without raising her voice or disturbing her coiffure. She inspires immediate awe and obedience.

She entered my room and sized up the situation with a glance. The two young men who lied began to stutter "But Miss Rosie..." She pinned those two with a look and said "I don't want to hear from anyone in this room but the teacher. Mrs. Peevish, who were the young men that lied to you?" I pointed them out. "And who were the other students that were late?" I pointed them out. She dealt the detentions out like we were playing Texas Hold'Em and then delivered her coup de grace:

"I don't want to have to come up here again today. I'm old and my knees hurt. Y'all are going to learn some French up in here today!"

Impressed, I gave her two snaps to the left and an around-the-world snap.

You go, Miss Rosie.

4 Comments:

  • Wow, I never expected that title to be an actual quote.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 1:04 AM  

  • She sounds brilliant. Can you clone her and send her to the UK to sort out our schools' discipline problems?

    By Blogger Sniffy, At 5:35 PM  

  • Can you send her to us about a mere 5 miles away?????

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 8:05 PM  

  • She sounds like my kind of woman!

    By Blogger Sylvana, At 12:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home