Peevish

Monday, January 30, 2006

Sauerkraut, ja!

Now, I realize I live in the MidAtlantic region of the United States, not the Midwest, where the German immigrants settled. However, I made yummy Sauerkraut for dinner tonight. Like last night, I took pictures. Aren't you lucky?

The ingredients:


One bag of sauerkraut
brown sugar
one apple
three rashers of streaky bacon cut in half
hot dogs (I'm partial to Nathan's Hot Dogs)

The method:

Dump the Sauerkraut and brown sugar (about 1/2 c. firmly packed) in a heavy, cast iron pot. In my case, Le Creuset.

Peel apple and cut into eighths. Add to pot.

Cut rashers of bacon in half. Add to pot. Let simmer for 1/2 hour.

Add hot dogs and cook for 15 minutes. Done! Serve with Delema's Mashed Potatoes.


Ingredients:
3-4 large potatoes
4 T. butter
1 c. sour cream
salt, and lots of it!

Peel and slice potatoes in thin slices.

Put sliced potatoes in a heavy cast-iron pot, once again, Le Creuset. Add water to cover. Boil 11 minutes, or until tender.

Drain, and add butter, salt, and sour cream.

Mash with old-fashioned potato masher. I prefer the masher to an electric mixer, because the mixer develops the starch in the potatoes too much and makes them gummy.

I'm blogging about dinner tonight because I have fuck-all else interesting to blog about. So, you get lots of pictures of food and a few instructions.

Dinner was good, don't get me wrong. I love hot dogs & sauerkraut. I also love the cinnamon buns I made for dessert.

10 Comments:

  • What is this, a damn cookery blog?

    I'm planning a post on Oirish stew.

    By Blogger garfer, At 5:20 AM  

  • Hey, my mom always makes sauerkraut...and we HAVE TO have it on New Years Day (for good luck))...she's from Pennsylvania (Pennsylvania Dutch, I guess).

    And those cinnamon buns look DELICIOUS! :)

    By Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen, At 8:11 AM  

  • this is off topic, but have you ever visited here?

    By Blogger upyernoz, At 2:04 PM  

  • Garfer, if you paid attention, you'd have seen that there is fuck-all going on in my life at the moment, hence the housewifely recipes.

    Stacy - awesome! I didn't know it was for good luck.

    Vixen, my deepest and most abject apologies. I'll post something vile later, so you can get back on track.

    Noz - I visited there yesterday, as I saw it on Sarah's blog. What a blast from the past.

    By Blogger Peevish McSnark, At 2:10 PM  

  • Mmmmmmm, *drool* *drool*

    I love sauerkraut! It must be the PA Dutch blood in me!!

    We were going to make Braised Sauerkraut with Bratwurst tonight, but we decided to wait til tomorrow. Nope, no reason, just waiting.

    I never put brown sugar in mine ... just white sugar. I'm-a gonna haf to try that!

    By Blogger Maidy, At 3:31 PM  

  • Forget the food.

    Are those knives really,really sharp?

    By Blogger S.I.D., At 2:57 PM  

  • Yep - like razors. That way, I cut the food and not myself, struggling with a dull knife.

    Why, want one?

    By Blogger Peevish McSnark, At 4:28 PM  

  • I've never thought of making sauerkraut before, although my husband is of Ukranian/Polish decent and they put it in a lot of things. I'll have to try your recipe!

    Dessert look fab too :-)

    By Blogger Kyahgirl, At 3:52 PM  

  • of course...he IS decent, but I really meant 'descent' doh!

    By Blogger Kyahgirl, At 3:54 PM  

  • Mmmmmm, I've not been able to read that post because I was distracted by the photos. Looks effing delish, darling.

    By Blogger Sniffy, At 3:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home