Peevish

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Irked

So, one of the things I do pretty well is teach French. It would figure that one of the other things I do pretty well is speak French. I'm not bad. After spending a month there once, I was mistaken for French quite frequently by natives. My pronunciation doesn't suck.

Wouldn't you know it, today one of my students informs me that I've been mispronouncing four and five in French. He knows this because his father - who is not French, by the way - told him so. Jeez! Here I've been for the last 25 years mispronouncing quatre and cinq. Go figure. I mean, this is soooooo totally advanced pronunciation! These words make the tongue-twisting challenge offered by "grenouille" seem paltry in comparison. Thank you so much, average schmoe for undermining my authority in the classroom. I appreciate it.

Feh.

I gave my student some pronunciation websites that he and his father can visit together to help with their French phonetics. Hope they get their tongues in shape in time to taste the crow.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • I wonder if he'd correct your pronunciation of "Va te faire foutre"? (The father, that is...the son deserves a good can of whoopass, too, though).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:36 AM  

  • I like the way you think, Melanie!

    By Blogger Peevish McSnark, At 8:09 PM  

  • Cathy said...Handy thing the internet. Very much saves you from having to deal with the he said, she said syndrome. I love people who *know* things and feel the need to share their *knowledge*. Sorry about that gooey mess under your monitor. That would be the dripping sarcasm.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:07 AM  

  • the good thing about studying arabic is that no one pronounces it right, least of all arabs. so basically i'm never wrong. or, another more accurate way of looking at it, i always am.

    By Blogger upyernoz, At 1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home