Peevish

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Perspective

Miss Peanut and I went to Outback Steakhouse for dinner tonight. Since the WCM was at a Fossil Club meeting ('cause Fossils are free - you can dig 'em up yourself!), we had ourselves a Girl's Night Out. Miss Peanut loves Outback because of their Spotted Dog Sundae. My bit of parental responsibility is to insist that she eat her meat before getting the sundae. My kid loves meat, so it's not a hardship for her.

Tonight, though...

Let me preface this by telling you that the little monster has a cold. She's been a bit cranky with it, too. She was really getting on my nerves at the restaurant, as she whined at me. She was tired, she didn't want to color, she wanted a hug, she had to lie down. I was the mean mommy who wouldn't let her have her way - Sit still, sit up, hug later, inside voice! After all, most parents know that, in child terms, tired + hungry = cranky, and tonight seemed to fit that equation. It's a logical equation, but that doesn't stop the combination from being iritating as hell, though.

I cut her meat in small pieces for her and, silently fuming, dug into my own dinner, as in Mommy terms, irritated + hungry = raving mad bitch. I'm thankful that I always watch Miss Peanut eat (we're working on table manners), as she choked on the very first bite. I was out of my seat and pounding her on the back in less than a second, and she brought up the poorly-chewed piece of meat.

As she clung to me, crying, I no longer cared that she had been a pain in the arse 30 seconds ago. She was alive.

And, strangely enough, she was still hungry. She finished her meat and got her Spotted Dog Sundae.

What I got?

Perspective.

3 Comments:

  • Oh good God...I so feel you on this one. In fact, I just typed a confession (which I had too delete because I still can't believe I did it) involving me, a collicky baby, no sleep for two weeks straight, and accidentally administering waaaaaaay too much children's tylenol (you so do not want to google acetominophen overdose)...I was so terrified once I discovered what I'd done (bought the "concentrated formula" without realizing it) that I threw up while dialing the poison control center.

    Let's just say I had never been so thankful for every single solitary whine, whimper and scream that came out of my child's mouth after that.

    And from that moment on, I became hippy mom who cures her child with bark and grass and shamen, not because I'm against modern medicine, but because it just doesn't mix with sleep deprivation and frazzled nerves.

    By Blogger Sarah, At 11:28 AM  

  • Scary. Definitely scary. Not sure I ever told you about Max's choking incident. Let's just say those doorway jumper things have scared me ever since. Glad Peanut is ok.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 2:11 PM  

  • You fed her steak?! Fool, you should have made her stick with the meatloaf. That way you could have afforded the full t-bone special all for yourself.

    I am an expert at the Hienlich manouvere and thus very popular at steak restaurants.

    By Blogger garfer, At 3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home