Peevish

Monday, January 08, 2007

Adventures in Driving

Or not driving, rather, as my lovely car had "issues" this morning.

On Friday, the poor dear began making a horrible rattling noise, which the WCM addressed with a can of this or that somewhere under the hood. He said it may take 100 miles or so to run through the system, so it was ok to drive it. He denies saying this now, but he did say it.

The noise abated somewhat over the weekend, when I drove the car sparingly, and I had resolved to call a mechanic today and drop the car off after work. Well, I didn't get the chance.

Lucky for me, part of my morning routine is stopping at the Dunkin' Donuts for breakfast (bacon, egg, & cheese on half a croissant - yum!). My car started up after Miss Peanut and I got back in, and wonder of wonders, the noise was gone! Unfortunately, the steering wheel was locked up, and I couldn't turn it. Now, if you have to be stranded somewhere, I highly recommend being stranded at the Dunkin' Donuts. It's warm, dry (because it was pissing it down this morning), and there is food. I also recommend having a cell phone, as I had to make about five phone calls to get the word out this morning, but that's neither here nor there.

Miss Peanut, to whom this whole inconvenience was a Wonderful Adventure, was well chuffed at the idea of not going to school today. I have to admit, I was rather looking forward to it, too - anextra day off with a legitimate excuse! Zowie! Also a Wonderful Adventure for Miss Peanut was riding in the Tow Truck after watching it load up Mommy's car.

Now, one of the wonderful things about the WCM's family, is that they are numerous and helpful in a crisis. I put in a phone call to one of my sisters-in-law who lives about a half-mile from the auto repair shop, and she came flying over to pick me up. Then, seeing as I wouldn't have a car, she offers me one of hers.

This one:



Yes, she loaned me a Jaguar. A fucking Jaguar! It's delightful to drive, and I can see why it cost only about half as much as my house. She is officially my favorite sister-in-law right now - not because of the car she loaned me, but because she generously loaned it to me without a thought when I needed it. Unfortunately, it dashed Miss Peanut's hopes of staying home from school, and she is there right now. I did call in to work and tell them that I managed to get a car and I could come in if they wanted. They said stay home - they'd have to pay the substitute anyway.

So I'm at home. Got my coffee next to me, the dogs snoring on the floor around me, and my comfy flannel PJs on. I may take a drive later [/smirk]

4 Comments:

  • Dayum, girl! That's some set of wheels! How long do you get to keep 'em? And what's wrong with the voiture, anyway?

    Our "check engine" light just came on yesterday evening so we're walking on eggshells hoping it will turn back off on its own. :(

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 10:43 AM  

  • Gawd, that's a bit swish.

    Shame it's the only Jagwaar that ever resembled a frog swallowing a wasp.

    Ford better get it right next time or Hyundai will swallow them.

    By Blogger garfer, At 6:40 PM  

  • Nice one, how fast did you take it? Did it have any good gadgets? Were you caught speeding? Are you making your sister in law take the points for it?

    By Blogger Sniffy, At 11:49 AM  

  • Tina, you should've been there - I was poking around the car for about 15 minutes trying to figure out all of the dashboard gadgetry. It was very cool. I didn't take it any higher than about 50 mph, as I wasn't on the highway and my name doesn't begin with 'G' and end with 'arfer.'

    By Blogger Peevish McSnark, At 8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home