Peevish

Friday, December 29, 2006

I had a moment today.

So, this vacation has been all about staying at home. I've loved staying at home and just lounging about, connecting with my family. Miss Peanut, however, has been chafing just a wee bit about going to see her friend Clo. This morning, I granted her wish and took her to daycare so she could play with her friend - she's apparently had enough of me.

The offspring occupied, I took myself out shopping, since the luxury of having a purse bursting full of gift cards is not often mine. Stopping at the mall, I walked into one of the department stores and stopped at the Plus sized section to browse. I had to remind myself that this was not my section anymore.

So, after a quick internal lecture (my inner harpy just never shuts up!), I headed over to the Misses section of "Better Sportswear." As I was there, a couple of jackets caught my eye. The first, a chocolate brown brushed corduroy embellished with beads and embroidery around the hem, I could only find in a Large. Same for the second, a princess-seamed denim number with a denim ruffle around the neck, placket, and hem - no XL, just a L. Swallowing my disappointment, I dropped my heavy overcoat to the floor and decided to just bite the bullet and put them on over my sweater to see how far I'd have to go.

They fit. (Cue internal freak-out here)

Both jackets, in rapid disbelieving succession, fit beautifully, over a sweater. Unexpectedly, I did not feel like doing the dance of joy right there. I felt a little afraid, as though this miracle could be snatched from me, and I would be *boing* ejected from the normal sizes to land fifty feet over into the plus sizes again. Hanging my head, I waited nervously in slit-eyed dread for the smack that would wallop me back there.

Thank god for that inner harpy, though, because she was the one that bitch-slapped me right back into reality by pointing out that for the first time in about 7 years, I no longer had an X anywere in my size. Nowhere was it to be found - no XL, no 1X, 2X, 3X, or (gasp) 4X. No X anywhere. I should be counting my blessings, not anticipating the worst that might never come. Didn't I realize what I had? Was I that determined to be an ungrateful bitch that I would take for granted the hard work she and others had done to put me in this size? Feh! She washed her hands of me.

I think my inner harpy looks like Edna from the Incredibles. She sure as hell sounds like her.

So I had my moment today. It was momentous.

That is all.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • Oooo! Happy happy joy joy dance.

    I'm so glad you wrote this. It's so exciting and important to savor these little moments. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home