Peevish

Sunday, June 08, 2008

Weekend Edition

It's been a quiet weekend at Peevish Place, much to my dismay. Miss Peanut went to her Nana's house on Thursday night and has been gone all weekend. The WCM left for a fossil-hunting expedition early on Friday morning, and won't return for some time. Friday was my last day of work for the school year. It made me feel quite maudlin, as there's all sorts of change in my professional life - good ones, to be sure, but changes bring about beginnings and endings, all of which are usually marked with high-running emotions. I spent Friday morning at work, went to a luncheon with my colleagues, and then came home and started cleaning my house.

I don't know what brought about this house-cleaning spree, other than I knew that since nobody else was around, nobody would be messing up my housework 5 minutes after I'd finished it. Plus, whenever I do housework with other people in the house, I develop Martyr Syndrome - "I don't know why I'm the only one working while everyone else is sitting on their ass!" It's unattractive... but at least I recognize that, right? I accomplished a hell of a lot on Friday, pausing to attend a retirement party for a dear friend. I went to bed with high hopes for Saturday, as I'd made some really fun plans.

Saturday, unfortunately,unfurled with a crashing low. I won't go into my plans for the day, but I will say that I had been looking forward to Saturday with unduly intense anticipation. I found that those plans weren't going to come to fruition on Saturday morning and spent a good hour in bed, whining, moping, crying, and generally cursing the universe. I was crushed - totally, entirely, desperately crushed. It caused an actual physical ache that I can still feel in the pit of my belly.

So I spent the day running errands, doing more housecleaning (my house is SO clean now! You'd hardly know I had a "dirt problem!"), and trying to keep my mind occupied so I didn't dwell on my disappointment. And do you know what happened? I got a great phone call.

See, my friend Bobbinchick had made a pie - an honest-to-goodness, homemade, just picked the damned strawberries herself PIE. And she called me to come help her eat it. Can I just tell you how much I loved that? That the person she thought to come help her eat pie was me? I loved that. Hearing that I was all on my own, she also invited me to dinner. How great was that?!

Having three very ripe avocadoes in my fruit bowl and a bunch of cilantro in the fridge, I made a bowl of guacamole, grabbed a bag of tortilla chips, and set off down the road to Bobbinchick's house. A delicious dinner, fun conversation, beautiful energetic children, and GORGEOUS strawberry pie later, I came home to a calm, clean, cool house, and was able to finally relax for the day. One extremely sexy vampire romance novel later, and I was tucked into my fresh bed, ready for sleep.

It was a pretty good day, all things considered.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • Awwww, yay, pie!!! Sounds fun-- I am enjoying the visit vicariously through your blog. :-)

    And, hey, it's, well, pie! J and I have been discussing recently how it's positively impossible to be sad when you say the word pie. It starts with a plosive, which is already fun, then the "ie" dipthong comes in there and forces your face into a smile--it's linguistics in motion! Not to mention the meaning invokes all manner of yumminess. Pie. Mmm. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home