Peevish

Monday, July 14, 2008

One for the Bucket List

So Miss Peanut turned 7 years old yesterday. She's a running, swimming, sassing dynamo and the apple of my eye. For her birthday, the WCM and I decided to buy her a bike, since she's been asking for one for a while. I haven't ridden a bike in years, since hey, Super Morbid Obesity and bike riding do not generally go hand-in-hand. The WCM hasn't ridden a bike in years, either, but that's just because he didn't want to. He's fairly fit, for a geezer.

So today, Miss Peanut and I went to the bike shop and purchased two bikes. A smallish purple bike for her, complete with bell, basket, and fancy streamers on the handlebars, and a largeish blue one for me. I took mine out for a test ride before deciding on it, being unsure of the return of my abilities. There's a good reason people say "It's just like riding a bike" though, because once I got started, I remembered the rhythm and balance of it instantly.

It was like going back 30 years in time. I was 8 years old again, riding my bike around the neighborhood, no helmet - because we were tough in those days! - feeling the wind riffle through my hair and the warmth in my legs from going uphill. I was sold. I was buying myself a bike. The WCM gave his unstinting support to the idea, as he is not the WCM with Miss Peanut. He will spend freely for her.

So now, I have a bike. I can also ride that bike. I don't plan on entering the Tour de France or anything, but I can ride my damn bike and feel the wind on my face.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • Very cool. :)

    I'm looking at a lovely orange 7 speed beach cruiser myself.

    Life's good, isn't it? So happy for you and Miss Peanut!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home