Peevish

Monday, April 20, 2009

Hot and Delicious

Did you ever have a day when you got exactly what you wanted and needed at exactly the moment you both wanted and needed it?

I had that day today. It was a Professional Day, which meant no students in the school so teachers could get their grades in the computers. After a morning of hard graft grading papers, I stumbled down to the Work Husband's classroom nearly incoherent with hunger, and stood in front of him, wild-haired and dead-eyed, mumbling "Food. Me. You. Now."

Bless him, he chuckled at me and took me to lunch at the diner down the road. A quick glance at the menu inspired me to order the Cheesesteak Wrap. Now, if you're not from around Philly, you're not going to know the glory of a cheesesteak. This is a sandwich made from very thinly sliced beef that's been thrown on a grill and shredded by two metal spatulas until it resembles a pile of brown rags. This is then slathered in cheese and cushioned on a soft long Italian roll. I prefer mine with fried onions, American cheese, and thick lashings of ketchup. This was what I had today, but in a wrap, not a roll.

People, it was hot, juicy, meaty, thick, salty, greasy, and delicious. It was everything I needed in that exact moment, and completely satisfied me in a way that very few things have ever managed to do. Gawd. I'm shaking right now just remembering it. Mmmmmmmm...

So, fortified by both the food and the convivial conversation - the Work Husband is not the Work Husband merely for his looks alone, you see - I was able to very nearly finish my work today. All in all, it was a very nice way to come back to school.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

  • 2 quick points:

    (1) REAL philly cheese steaks are made with cheeze whiz, not american cheese (which sounds too much like an actual dairy product to work), and

    (2) real philly cheese steaks are disgusting.

    By Blogger upyernoz, At 8:59 AM  

  • My work husband is gay and cooks and bakes for me.

    By Blogger The Mistress, At 9:15 AM  

  • Noz - I KNOW!! OMG, I hate the Whiz. Bleargh!

    MJ - if my work husband wasn't so awesome, I'd be jealous of yours!

    By Blogger Peevish McSnark, At 9:37 AM  

  • Lord that sounds like a blessed lunch. Sign me up. I miss the Philly Cheezsteak even though I'm closer to their turf here than in South Carolina.

    I need a work husband. There's only one guy in my dept and although he's the one with whom I share my classroom and we're pretty friendly, it's not quite the same.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 10:40 AM  

  • "..hot, juicy, meaty, thick, salty.."

    Reet.. but what did you have after for your lunch?

    By Blogger Barlinnie, At 3:52 PM  

  • Ah, Jimmy, I'm so glad somebody caught that! I'd hate to think that I was dropping innuendo that nobody was picking up!

    By Blogger Peevish McSnark, At 7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home