Peevish

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Supporting McCain

Meghan McCain, that is.

There's been a recent kerfuffle involving Meghan McCain, Ann Coulter, and, most recently, Laura Ingraham. The most recent bit is what left me temporarily speechless. I'll elaborate, shall I?

Now, we all know that I am not a Republican. I do not tend to follow politics as a rule and know very little about the various right-wing pundits. Rush Limbaugh and Bill O'Reilly are pretty much the sum total of my right-wing pundit knowledge. I do not call Ann Coulter a right-wing pundit. I call her a reactionary, whack-a-doo, heartless, worthless Grinch of a creature. Next to Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh seems like a jolly avuncular teddy-bear of a man that would give me a Werther's candy and a pat on the head. So, when Meghan McCain seemingly came out of nowhere attacking Ann Coulter, my response was definitely positive. I was frankly glad to see some young Republican women acknowledging that this woman was not a positive role model for them.

So I just read on Big Fat Deal, a size-acceptance blog, that Laura Ingraham made no substantive rebuttal to McCain's comments, but instead chose to make belittling comments about McCain's weight and "plus sized" status. Excuse me? What the FUCK does Meghan's size 8 behind have to do with the validity of her comments? Never mind the fact that a size 8 is only plus sized in an anorexic's head, when did the size of a woman's ass become an inverse measure of her brain? Um, never, thank you very much.

Another thing that just gets under my skin about this whole interview thing is that it's another woman who is perpetuating this sizist crap. I mean, if it were some male chauvinist that were spewing this garbage, I could just write it off as typical male conservative sexism. Yes, it exists. Yes, I've encountered it in real life. However, for this to come out of another woman's mouth - for her to skip right to the ad hominem attack instead of examining the value of the argument put forth just reeks of the whole catty female politics that we, as women, have striven to rise above.

Shame on you, Laura Ingraham.

7 Comments:

  • I had heard about this big to-do, although not the particulars, and I have to admit that I had assumed that the offender was a man. And that I had also assumed that Ms. McCain was, in fact, fat. (Hangs head in shame.)

    Jeez, I haven't known anyone since middle school who thought that a size 8 was fat. And yes, those were probably anorexic girls.

    Score another one for Meghan McCain. From what I heard, she took on Ann Coulter basically to say "that's not how to attract young people, and especially women, to the Republican party." By golly, I think she's right.

    On a random note, the word verification called for below is "flanismu," which is a Roman dessert from the old Latin-speaking days, right? I just thought I'd share.

    By Blogger might I add...?, At 10:06 PM  

  • "...some male chauvinist that were spewing this garbage..."

    Ahh shite.. you wouldn't have appreciated my now not-going-to-happen simpering little quip.

    Typical!

    By Blogger Barlinnie, At 2:52 AM  

  • Aw, g'wan, Jimmy. Quip it up. I know it's you.

    By Blogger Peevish McSnark, At 7:33 AM  

  • The moment has passed and the pleasure was snatched from beneath my oul arse.

    But there'll be another day soon.. that you can be sure of.

    By Blogger Barlinnie, At 10:42 AM  

  • Liberals bust on Limbaugh's weight all the time instead of his arguments. And Obama himself recently made light of Jessica Simpson's weight.

    And that's the point -- they're liberals. Must be OK, then.

    By Blogger Hube, At 8:14 PM  

  • Oh, but see Hube, the thing is here that I don't care who it was picking on her weight, politically speaking. I just care that she's out of her fucking mind calling a size 8 young woman "plus sized." That's insane! As it is, it wasn't a case of a liberal calling a conservative names - it was a conservative throwing her own under the bus.

    The other thing that bothers me is that weight is primarily a woman's issue in this country - one we're sensitive to - and this kind of snarky attitude just cheapens any woman that utters it. I think it sets the woman's movement back every time we allow shit like this to happen. How you LOOK has no bearing on your ability to THINK, political affiliation notwithstanding.

    By Blogger Peevish McSnark, At 8:31 PM  

  • And Obama himself recently made light of Jessica Simpson's weight.

    except that he didn't, watch the video for yourself here. it's just another one of those imaginary controversies you see online all the time.

    in any case, it's not an argument when you bring up someone's weight as a comeback. this whole thing just makes ingraham look stupid, imho. if she had a substantive response, she would have given it.

    By Blogger upyernoz, At 2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home