Peevish

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Work, Weddings, and Walking

Had an in-service this last Friday, or as my District likes to call it "Professional Development." It was completely worthless. I sat next to my friend Dave and passed notes. The morning was spent in gossip and idleness. After lunch, we had a conference call with some "expert" on a test that only the upper levels are giving. As Dave & I teach nothing but Level 1, we were understandably bored. It seemed to be catching, as we observed one of our administrators (and not a few teachers) falling asleep across the room.

In other weekend news, I went to a wedding: my next-door neighbors' youngest son just got hitched. He's 32, well-educated, and handsome. It's about darn time, according to his parents. His bride was lovely, of course, and both the ceremony and the reception were fantastic. I liked the ceremony, in particular, because it was completely secular and totally non-traditional. God was mentioned only once, and in the most general of senses. While I am neither anti-religion nor an atheist, I choose not to have a religion for myself. If I wanted one, I'd get one, but I'm doing fine on my own, thanks. I really liked my neighbors' ceremony, because I have never felt comfortable at an overtly religious wedding - including my own. Had I waited until I was older to get married, my neighbors' ceremony would have been my choice. As it was, I was 19 when I was planning my wedding, so anyone that was invited should feel lucky that they weren't munching Doritos straight out of the bag in my mother's back yard.

It snowed the day after the wedding, so we had some fun outside on President's Day. Mini-me and I took a walk up to the Dunkin' Donuts just to get out of the house. I had the iced coffee, she had a sprinkle donut. I LOVE DD's iced coffee - it's so refreshing! We stomped in the slushy gutters, made hard-packed snowballs, and walked in each others' tracks in the wet, melting snow. She was so tired when we came back, she sacked out for a 3-hour nap! Score!!! Gotta love those walks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home