Peevish

Saturday, March 19, 2005

Women: we're naturally more complex!

Years ago, I had a friend who chided me whenever I blamed my erratic behavior on PMS, calling it "biological determinism." Now, for those of you who do not speak Righteous Female, that means that by blaming any behavior typically associated with my cycle on my cycle, I was automatically demeaning all that share my gender. I was, to her, emphatically and explicitly stating that women were weaker than men because of our biology.

Sure. Yeah, Lisa, whatever... I was obnoxious about blaming everything from crankiness to the common cold on PMS after that. I took umbrage at her constant harping on the evils of "biological determinism." Then I took pride in flaunting it.

As any real woman knows (men, just tune out now... pretend I'm talking about "our relationship"), biological differences exist, and no amount of righteous denial can make them go away. I don't think this makes us weaker than men, though. I don't think that admitting to being affected by PMS makes me weak, either. Ask the Mister - he'll tell you that he doesn't want to tangle with me one week out of the month for fear of my opening that can of whoop-ass I keep stashed with the Kotex.

I speak a different dialect of Righteous Female. I acknowledge our biological differences and celebrate them. We are Women, hear us roar. We have a monthly cycle. We can bear children. Our bodies can sustain them even after they're born. Those not blessed with two X chromosomes cannot do this. As a matter of fact, there's quite a bit of research done every year about those two X chromosomes. Just recently, scientists have discovered that because of the double X chromosome, we women are more complex than men. Duh. Ya think?

Or is that biological determinism? Lisa Smith, can you tell me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home