Peevish

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

A Good Day

Today was a good day.

Everyone was awake and cheerful ahead of schedule. I didn't have to nag Miss Peanut to get dressed. She did it herself.

My coffee was ready and waiting at the Dunkin Donuts this morning. They know me there. That's probably a bad thing, but as long as it gets me my morning brew done to my exacting specifications, I'm ok with that.

School went well. I taught my first period all about weather in French. Woo hoo - il fait frais (enfin, et pas avant l'heure!) Then, in preparation for my IB class labeling a couple of classrooms with the French names for things (le pupitre - the student desk; la porte - the door, etc...), I examined the signs the students had made and discovered them in a jumble. Three sets of labels all mixed up higglety-pigglety.

No matter, said I. We'll play "Go Fish" to sort them out. And we did! My 4th period class and I played my version of "Go Fish" which I call "Tant Pis" (too bad!). There was no pile to draw from, so instead of going fishing for another, you just got told "tant pis!" They LOVED it, and we were having such a good time playing this game entirely in French that no one really noticed when the Principal walked in the room. When we finally noticed her, she had the biggest smile on her face and looked to be enjoying the sight of a classroom of students having fun in school. Damn, what a great time I had with that class.

My class after lunch went about the process of finishing up labeling the school. This time, they labeled the common areas: classrooms, elevators, library, etc... as well as making signs for the individual floors. This year, we're in a high-rise building (7 floors!) while our school is being renovated. It's fun.

After school, I went to the craft store to get a few supplies for the Scrapbooking club that I run on Wednesdays after school. The WCM called and, get this, offered to take me and Peanut out to dinner! Mark this on your calendars, people. He volunteered to pay for someone to prepare a meal, and it wasn't anyone's birthday.

We had a great meal at the Charcoal Pit. If you're a carnivore, like me, and you appreciate a finely made hamburger, like me, then the Charcoal Pit is the place to go. Only the Original one on Concord Pike, mind you, as the other ersatz Charcoal Pits just don't measure up. Trust me on this. I wouldn't lie about food. Sex, I'd lie about. Weight, I'd lie about. Uma Thurman, I'd lie about. But not food.

Only one minor snafu marred the day - Peanut had an "accident" and was out of panties. She threw a hissy fit at being forced to go "panty free" for the night. Luckily, there were fresh panties in the dryer, so that disaster got sorted. I've been catching up on the laundry after the pantyhose-and-skirt fiasco that was last Friday. And the hissy fit actually made me laugh. You try listening to a 4-year old wailing "But I don't want to go panty-free!" and not laugh.

Before logging on to visit some of my favorite people, I had a lovely cup of tea, Earl Grey, hot and 3 Oreo cookies, dunked 3 times each to ensure optimum meltability and texture. Heaven.

So here I am, blogging about nothing. I can't really complain. And while this is great for me personally, it makes for a stultifyingly boring blog post. I'll do better tomorrow, I promise.

4 Comments:

  • Yay! I'm first!

    I thought Dunkin Donuts had all closed down? Or is that just over here in Blighty?

    Earl Grey. Good choice. The tea of the wise.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:05 AM  

  • Charcoal Pit burgers are almost as good as sex. Almost. ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9:07 PM  

  • Donuts I could do without. Charcoal pit burger sounds like heaven. Cookie dunking - never. I don't like soggy food. Besides that the day sounds wonderful.

    My high school French doesn't reach beyond il fait du soleil. Ferme la bouche! What's wrong with this picture?

    By Blogger pissoff, At 12:26 AM  

  • I used to be quite good at French, then never used it and forgot it all. The bastards should speak English by now anyway.

    Doughnuts, love em - ring doughnuts with a granulated sugar coated, that's all I need.

    Oh, to have a day of nice things to blog about...

    By Blogger Sniffy, At 12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home