Peevish

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Random musings

So many of my thoughts are random these days, I thought I'd grace you with a few.
*****

Do you know that song Pretty Vegas by INXS? You know, the reconstituted, new-and-improved INXS with the vaguely Hutchence-esque new lead singer JD Whatsisname? Well, I know it, and I really like it. It starts out all tightly wound and pulsing, then opens the hell up on the bridge, blowing me completely away, leaving me twitching and quaking as they head into the second verse. Then there's that middle bit where the vocal goes all 1930s radio on us, giving me the an aftershock vibe, kind of an echo of the first bit - but you see, you know what's about to happen and the anticipation builds until you just cant wait for the bridge to open again and suck you in so you're rhythmically clenching all of your muscles and swaying in your seat until it bursts upon you again. Damn, it's a hot song, but it ain't pretty.

****

Do you know what's a good word? Geezer. It conjures up the image of the balding, toothless old man with little effort. But a better word is Codger. I just love codger. To me, a codger is a geezer in golf attire. Both, of course, have the sprouting ear-hair popular in the old set.

****

Number 473 on the "Things I Hate" list: Fake mashed potatoes. How fucking hard is it to boil up some potatoes, then mash them up with some butter and sour cream? Not very, seeing as I do it on an average of 3 times a week. What's worse, Number 474 I suppose, is when you ask if your waitress if the mashed potatoes are real or instant, and the bitch lies to you. Then you have to wonder if she knowingly deceived you, or is just trailer-trash and didn't know the difference.

****

Number 13,487 on the "Things I Can't Do Without" list: Loud Metal Music when I'm in a pissy mood. I've been cranking the Evanescence up recently (and terrorizing poor Rufus the fish, I'm sure, as his bowl is right next to the speakers), when I've been at home alone because my moods have been off the charts bitchy. I'm quoting another lovely blogger here who said "Hormonal and Welsh. A bad combination." or words to that effect. Yes, I concur. Metal seems to exorcise most of the bad humours and leave me relatively tranquil afterwards. Kind of like musical Lithium.

****

One of my students has the most eclectic musical tastes I've ever encountered. He surprised me one day by telling me something he learned after watching Country Music Television, then let me listen to a song on his iPod by a Jewish Reggae singer (he said he looks Amish, so I suppose he's Hasidic). He's in a metal band, and also enjoys the occasional classical tune. This kid has also got the kind of looks that are going to turn female heads and drop jaws in about 10 years. I hope I find out what he makes of himself in those 10 years, because it's bound to be interesting.

****

When I was fourteen, I believed that my perfect day would involve a window seat in a castle library in a green and rainy country (gee, sound like Wales to you?) with a soft blanket, a cup of tea, a good book, a contented cat warming my feet, and a husband and children somewhere else in the castle amusing themselves and leaving me alone to read for a while.

It's comforting to know that I really knew myself 20 years ago, as my fantasy has not changed much. Well, hasn't changed any, really.

8 Comments:

  • Codger is good...but my new favorite word (ESPECIALLY in traffic) is "asswipe". Sometimes, if I'm REALLY pissed, I throw in "fucking asswipe" (excuse my language). I love yelling that at stupid drivers...there's just so damn many of them down here....:)

    I don't do mashed potatos. Period. But The PK HATES fake mashed taters too...:)

    Evanescence is THE PERFECT pissy mood CD. I love "Going Under" and "Whisper"...they're my favorites! This is the only CD in my collection that may completely wear out due to overplay.

    And Bronwen, that is the ABSOLUTE PERFECT perfect day!

    By Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen, At 8:35 AM  

  • Back in my waitressing days at The Country Kitchen, where we served up all sorts of fake/processed deliciousness, we were specifically told to tell the customers that the mashed potatoes were real because they were made with real "dehydrated potato flakes". Like they wouldn't know the difference once the plate arrived. Caused me to get yelled at lot.

    By Blogger portuguesa nova, At 9:31 AM  

  • I hate it when restaurants have baked potato on the menu and it turns out to be microwaved.

    That's just not right.

    Do an old codger a favour luv, get rid of the word verification, it gets right on me tits.

    By Blogger garfer, At 11:47 AM  

  • One of my brothers-in-law PREFERS fake potatoes.

    I think it would be grounds for a divorce, but she doesn't think it's that big of a deal.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:11 PM  

  • Ah, but Garfy, are your tits lumpy, and would you let me feel 'em? It would go a long way toward getting rid of the WV. I wonder if P&T would tell me how to get theirs?

    By Blogger Peevish McSnark, At 1:42 PM  

  • geezer is such a great word Brownen.

    Fake mashed potatos truly are disgusting. Well, most of the ready made foods are. Even the 'pasta and sauce' in a packet are disgusting. You can cook pasta and whip up white sauce in the same length of time and it tastes much better. Why does all the 'convenience' food taste like chemicals? Yuck.

    Your student sounds very interesting. I bet he'd be really flattered if you took an interest in his future.

    (I think P&T's WV is a wordpress plugin that piggy hacked the code on. I bet he'd be thrilled to share his knowledge once he's finished casting stones)

    By Blogger Kyahgirl, At 10:45 AM  

  • ah crap, I called you Brownen. Sorry about that :-)

    By Blogger Kyahgirl, At 10:46 AM  

  • I had to visit after reading your comment at Garfer's about frozen petit pois being stuck to ones bum.

    I haven't been disappointed. Great blog.

    By Blogger Inexplicable DeVice, At 10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home