Peevish

Friday, January 04, 2008

I'm mad as hell!

I guess it’s because of all the New Year’s Resolutions being thrown about that my mind has been occupied by weight. Most of my colleagues are doing South Beach – they’re miserably existing on salads right now, and it’s turned the knob on the staff Crank-o-Meter all the way up to 11. That’s fine by me, because, to be frank, I’ve been a mite cranky about weight, too. Not mine – for once, I’m perfectly content with the numbers – but with the weight of the guilt that society places on eating.

At lunch the other day, one of the South Beach women (barely filling out her size 4 pants, mind you) said that she had been “so bad” over the holidays. She’d had *gasp* cheesecake three nights in a row! She’d had – oh so bad – hors d’œuvres! You know, hors d’œuvres? The cause of the decline of Western Civilization? What really tweaks me is that people say they are bad when they eat something indulgent. I can’t say this enough: what you eat does not make you bad. It might make you chubby, unhappy, or sick to your stomach, but it most certainly does not make you bad.

I have had enough – enough! – of people turning meals into moral issues. I’m fed up with people existing on leafy greens and low-fat yogurt and saying that they’re “being good.” Abstemious eating makes you no more “good” than wallowing in a vat of melted chocolate. It may make you thinner, light-headed, and hungry again in an hour, but it won’t make you “good.” Hitler was a vegetarian. Was he “good?”

I’m sick of the phrase “guilt-free” when applied to food. Why should I feel guilty about anything I eat? Who is judging me? And who gives anyone the right to judge me based solely on what I eat, goddammit! NO ONE has that right, and I refuse to kowtow to the fat-free, sugar-free, flavor-fucking-free nazis promoting this lifestyle any longer.

I’ve had enough of women forcing themselves to attend weigh-ins and meetings where they are praised for resisting the evil lure of a cookie. Enough of the diet industry selling salvation by preying on womens’ insecurities and low self-esteem. Enough of size 4 women constantly dieting and calling themselves “bad” for enjoying their food! Enough, enough, ENOUGH!!!

Eat it or don’t eat it. It’s your hips and your choice. But for fuck’s sake, if you eat it, own it and enjoy it. You will still be a good person, if you ever were to begin with, if you eat the cheesecake or not. So live, dammit!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • Hitler, Nazis AND cheesecake.

    What's NOT to like on this blog?

    You have it all goin' on here.

    I'll be back.

    By Blogger The Mistress, At 4:08 PM  

  • The smug kind of vegetarian's line is that Hitler wasn't actually a vegetarian.

    Just because he once had some rennet-free cheese!

    By Blogger Geoff, At 4:27 PM  

  • That should read "cheese with animal rennet".

    Ignore me.

    By Blogger Geoff, At 4:36 PM  

  • MJ - thank you, thank you. I enjoy your blog immensely.

    Geoff - I do make the distinction between vegetarian and vegan.

    By Blogger Peevish McSnark, At 9:40 PM  

  • Just happened by because my sister ("Melstra") linked to you.

    On the old "on the beach" boards at Prevention, we used to admonish people not to use the words "cheating" and "legal," in favor of the words "bad choice" or good choice."

    Because as you've noted many of the foods that are discouraged during certain phases South Beach are not bad foods, nor are the people eating them bad; they are simply making choices that do not comply with the way of eating they're purportedly trying to follow.

    Furthermore, so many people suggest that the cookies are "calling their name," that they couldn't stop. People need to start owning up to their choices, and exercise control over what they put into their mouths. If they each a piece of cheesecake, they're choosing to--and the choice should be because they really want to. Then enjoy it, and don't feel guilty about your choice--but DO make sure every choice you make is one you do consciously--no "mindless eating!"

    Well, that's my philosophy.

    MargieK
    http://tinyurl.com/38lwly
    (because the url of my blog at Prevention is too long to go in most url sign-in slots).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:24 PM  

  • Amen, Peevish! This fits with my philosophy about eating and dieting very well. I watched my mother do the yo-yo diet thing all the time while I was growing up and she still does it. Food was labeled as 'good' and 'bad'. I have a suspicion that the rapid increases and decreases in weigh have been hard on her health and contributed to the heart problems she had a few years ago. I observed while I was in high school that the end result of every cycle of dieting she went through left her with more weight than where she had started. That was when I resolved to never do what people call 'dieting'. Everybody has a diet and it is not something that begins and ends - it is just the food a person eats. The philosophy I adopted was that I would strive to make healthy choices about food and include some junk food in that just because I like it, get reasonable exercise and whatever weight I ended up at would be the weight I was meant to be at. That philosophy might not work for everybody, but it has served me well. I am satisfied with my weight (not that I wouldn't mind losing a few pounds), and I don't have all the complication and craziness that went with the kind of dieting my mother did.

    By Blogger Recovering Packrat, At 3:14 PM  

  • Margie - Welcome and AMEN, sister!! I've got nothing against South Beach, just didn't choose that particular route myself. I've been just cheesed off at the Beachers where I work with their good/bad talk. Argh!

    Recovering Packrat - welcome back! Do you remember me from my Suburban Decay days?

    By Blogger Peevish McSnark, At 6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home