Peevish

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Patchwork

So called because this is full of little bits and pieces today, composed of nothing major, really.

Relaxation just doesn't seem possible for me when the WCM isn't at home. I think it's my strong oppositional streak that just doesn't let me settle down when there's nobody around to rebel against. I've been cleaning - still! - and I just started working on next year's syllabus for my most advanced class. School just ended on Friday, true, but my department head put the pressure on me by telling me that he'd like me to take IB French 4 the year after next. I feel like I have to get MYP French 2 down to a science before I can let it go, and I'll only have one more year to do that. The nice thing is that my department head has that kind of confidence in me. The other nice thing is that I have loads of materials and education with which to do it. So, I'll sacrifice part of my summer. It's not that good for me to sit still much, anyway.

All of that means that I'll have loads of time to work on my new computer. Apropos of nothing one day last month, the WCM announced that for my birthday and our anniversary, he was buying me a new computer. I hadn't asked for one, nor even made a disparaging comment (out loud) about the old one that I was using, so it caught me completely off-guard. Apparently, the WCM had needed to use mine briefly while his was updating something-or-other, and was distressed and frustrated by how slooooooooow it was. So he bought me a new one. Nice, huh? The bastard ordered it in PINK, though. Can I tell you, pink is at the bottom of my list of least favorite colors, just above kumquat orange? Oh well. It's a lovely new Dell, with Windows Vista - a new system for me to learn - and it's quite spiffy, albeit PINK as a freshly smacked ass.

Speaking of smacked asses, the ER staff at a certain New Jersey hospital which shall remain nameless (largely because I don't know its name...) sent a friend of mine home without realizing she had a twisted bowel. Thank God for her surgeon who went in and fixed it! Poor thing is now recuperating from both that and the gallbladder removal which precipitated it. I hope she feels better soon!!

And following that feeling better soon, I have a feeling that I shall be feeling quite good on June 19th, which is the 2-year anniversary of my Duodenal Switch surgery. I don't know what exactly I'll be doing to commemorate it, but it'll probably involve beef. I love beef. I can't get enough of it these days! I have a Pot Roast in the crock pot for dinner tonight, and I'm fixing Warm Red Cabbage with Bacon and Crumbled Goat Cheese along with Roasted Cauliflower with balsamic drizzle as the sides. That cabbage with goat cheese is sooooo tasty, I just want to stand over the pan with a spoon and eat it all up. The only difference between the recipe above and the way I make it is that I use balsamic vinegar. It deepens the lush purple of the cabbage and gives it just enough of a sweet tang to set off the mustiness of the goat cheese. I'm salivating... I can't wait for the WCM to get home so we can eat dinner.

Oh yeah, the WCM is coming home tonight, bringing with him the petrified remains of ancient crustaceans (trilobites, most likely). I just hope he doesn't track gravel all through my nice clean house. And, I hope he remembers to stop at the Krispy Kreme, as I told him not to even think of setting foot in my house without 2 dozen Original Glazed donuts from Krispy Kreme. I'm a hard woman, me. They freeze well, those glazed donuts do, and once you pop 'em in the microwave for 20 seconds, they're practically fresh-off-the-conveyor-belt good again. Two dozen ought to last me about 2 months, give or take. I cried fresh hot tears when the Krispy Kreme packed up and left my city.

Well, chickens, I've goofed off enough for one afternoon. It's time for me to get back to my travails. Have a good one!

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • Beef must be rib roasted to pinkish prefection and served with roast spuds, Yorkshire pudding, cauliflower cheese, glazed parsnips, peas, and horseradish sauce.

    We can't cook much, but we can cook that.

    By Blogger garfer, At 6:33 AM  

  • Sounds good, Garfy! What time's Sunday lunch at your house? Set an extra place for me.

    I'm not too fussy about my beef - I'll take it in a multitude of ways.

    By Blogger Peevish McSnark, At 10:40 AM  

  • I think I need that cabbage recipe. I love cabbage when it's done right. If you and the WCM like cabbage rolls, I have a yummy cabbage roll casserole on my LJ somewhere (and on my everydaycooking LJ community). Lemme know if you need the link.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 10:46 AM  

  • well clickenzie dein link above, silly! Cabbage rolls (galumpkie, in our family) are so labor intensive! We tend to make inside-out ones here, with a sauteed ground beef, onion, & shredded cabbage doused in tomato sauce here. Served over rice, it's almost like you took a cabbage roll and shredded it. Pretty good stuff.

    I have just a little bit left of the cabbage in my fridge (the WCM took all the other leftovers for lunch today) that I'm going to snack on later. Or now.

    By Blogger Peevish McSnark, At 3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home