Peevish

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Girls do make passes...

I have a confession to make: I love the way men look in glasses.

What brought on this confession, you might ask? A friend of mine, a man who doesn’t like his glasses, is talking Lasik. Now, I’ve got nothing against Lasik surgery. Another friend of mine, a woman, had it done a couple of months ago and just loves it. She raves about being able to buy sunglasses at the drugstore, not worrying about her vision disappearing from condensation when moving to and from air-conditioning to the Mid Atlantic Summer Steambath that passes for weather here, and being able to function immediately upon waking without a frantic nightstand search for her “eyes.” Sure, these are all valid points. I’m happy for my friend that she can see clearly.

Sometimes, though? Those glasses can turn a handsome man irresistible. Well, irresistible to me, at least. Take David Tennant, for example. He’s, well, gorgeous normally: tall, brown hair, brown eyes, high cheekbones, wide mouth. When I heard that he was going to be The Doctor, well, it made this Whovian sit up in eager anticipation. Now, you take this exceptional specimen and add the dorkiest glasses imaginable – because, really, these glasses are nothing short of math-league standard – and he becomes, to me, mouth-wateringly sexy and intense.

So what is it about a man in glasses? For me, personally, I think it’s the “glasses equals brains” stereotype at work. I’ve always found intelligence to be sexy. The WCM, neither a spectacle wearer nor anyone’s idea of a Sex Bomb, becomes very alluring when he tells me about any new experiments he’s running at work (he’s a Molecular Biologist, dontcha know?). Gives you some insight as to why we’re still together, eh? Give me a man who can talk tech, quote Yeats, or speak another language or two, and I’m hooked. Add a pair of glasses and I’m lost.

I think another part of the attraction is that, to me again, when a spectacle wearer removes their glasses for a bit when they talk to you, it becomes as intimate as when your lover removes their shirt. They've moved ever so infinitesimally closer to you by removing that barrier. They've become a bit vulnerable, they've exposed their weakness to you. Showing that softness, that trust, is so seductive to me. Not so much with the women, mind you, as I'm quite heterosexual. But with men? Ooooooh, baby - take 'em off slooooowly, slide the earpiece along your lower lip before you fold them, and lay them softly on the nightstand. Oh, is it hot in here? Just me, then? Damn!

Now, I’ve got no logical problem with my Lasik-bound buddy losing his glasses. It’s bound to be more convenient, and believe me, he’s more than handsome without his specs. But the boy sure is sexy with 'em.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • You must love Germans.

    By Blogger garfer, At 3:22 AM  

  • Sorry, I don't get the "German" comment above.

    But I am 100% with you in the "men with eyeglasses" thing. And, yes, it completely has to do with the Glasses = Intelligence thing for me, too.

    I've been after J to get glasses for ages now. He finally acquiesced when the ophthalmologist said it might help him with night driving. So really, I only get to see him wear them in the car (but any time of day, as he agrees that he sees better with them).

    By Blogger might I add...?, At 2:19 PM  

  • Oh I'm with you, I have a thing about men with glasses too.

    By Blogger MommyHeadache, At 2:58 PM  

  • I <3 the geek glasses also.

    In fact, when I went with the spouse to "help" him pick out glasses, I steered him towards big geek frames, and he said, "NO, WHAT WILL PPL SAY?" But...

    Then he came home with a dumb pair of ADIDAS frames.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9:30 PM  

  • My husband had Lasik eye surgery about seven years ago. Two years ago he had to get glasses so he could see to drive. It can wear off with age. He's only 41. Lasik is not forever for everyone, unfortunately. Your friend should be prepared for that eventuality.

    My husband likes girls with glasses--lucky me as I won't touch contacts. ugh.

    Jules

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 2:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home