Peevish

Sunday, November 09, 2008

Not All There

Sometimes I have days where I'm not quite all there. This is one.

The best way to describe being in my head right now is to imagine yourself in a turbulent ocean, clinging to an inflatable dinghy. You may catch this wave or that, be borne forward a little while, but be sidetracked by another. You also never quite know when one big sneaky wave is going to crash upon you from behind and sweep you under. There are bits of flotsam and jetsam in the water, detritus from the last time I was caught in the undertow. I'm collecting pieces of it now, with the intention of making a fabulously abstract sculptural post with it later on.

Flotsam

A very Happy Birthday to my friend Melanie! Hope the iPod that you got for your birthday is working wonderfully. Mine isn't!!

The WCM and I were trying to get all of my music on my laptop from my iPod. In the end, we had to use floola, and I have the sinking suspicion that it's going to be a lengthy and plodding process of adding each song individually.

Speaking of the WCM, he's outside right now assembling a second-hand behemoth of a swing set for Miss Peanut. It looks like a bitch of a job, and I'm really happy to be a delicate flower who has no appreciable body mass behind her. Since I've become all small and such, the WCM doesn't expect me to be as physical as before. Ironic, really, since there's far less danger now that I'll keel over from exercise-induced hypertension. But then, irony, it is by far the predominant spice in my life.

Ah, yes. Once again with the combining of the physical and the irony - you know that lube? The one I spent so much time and embarrassment picking out? Haven't needed it. Mother Nature has provided.

Well, Mother Nature also provided a visit from my Aunt Flo. Have you seen these new "Always" pads? They look like the next best thing to sliced bread! I don't know about you, but I've never liked tampons. My friend Monica always referred to them as "Peter Cheaters." I've only ever worn them if I've had to go swimming during Aunt Flo's visit. I may be hypersensitive in this particular area, but I can't seem to forget about that thing. I feel it there. DO. NOT. WANT.


Jetsam

One of my coworkers just sent an email telling me (well, and a bunch of other people) that she'd lost her grandmother. I had to send her one back offering my condolences. I still miss my grandmother every damn day.

And I cried when I saw this, because I'm a big sap:

Obama Pictures and McCain Pictures

That's Obama and his grandmother, who passed away right before the election.

And the election tension continues at Peevish Place, from many quarters! While I still don't discuss it, the WCM can't seem to let it drop. It's one of the reasons that I've been "frumious" recently. I may be running away for Thanksgiving, since the family I'd be spending it with may behave like the WCM, and needle me with snide republican remarks.

I also recently pissed off a friend by making a comment on his blog - he's a very political guy, and very conservative as well. Let's just say that it upset my personal apple cart when he snapped at me, and I haven't felt quite easy with him since. I probably just shouldn't have commented at all - after all, that strategy serves me pretty well at home.

And home is where I am right now. I should probably clean it up some, but I'm still being inundated with boxes from the after-halloween internet sales. The WCM can't seem to resist the deep discounts on fake skeletons and giant radio-controlled spiders.

Treading Water

In case my dingy gets sunk, I've been reading a bunch recently. It seems to be my escape. It's the end of the marking period, I've got a ton to do, and I don't wanna!

Ok, let me stop procrasturbating and go accomplish some stuff.

Remember, "just keep swimming, just keep swimming!"

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

  • Awwww re: the photo of Obama and his grandmother. That made me tear up, too.

    And thanks for the tip re: the new style of Always. Thank GOD there's another woman out there who feels the same way as I about tampons.

    (Sure, I wish I could wear them, too, but I. Feel. Them. There. Period [you should pardon the pun]. If one more person tells me I haven't inserted it high enough or far enough, I'll scream. Yes I have. I got my period at 13 and I'm now 47. You can't tell me that in 34 years I haven't managed to cram one of those buggers high enough. That's not the issue. FWIW, my mother was apparently the same way, though my sisters are not.)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 8:32 PM  

  • if you're really going to be a thanksgiving refugee, let me know. i'll be at my parent's place (the same old place from the days of yore). i could easily get you invited.

    By Blogger upyernoz, At 9:15 AM  

  • Hiya babe-thanks for the bday wishes. The iPod is fine, though my laptop still is not. I may end up having to migrate my collection as well. Haven't heard of floola, but I did some internet searching and was recommended "Music Rescue" (which is british, btw, so hey, cool).

    And sorry, upyernoz, but I invited her first! If she flees to anyone for turkey, it will be casa de melanie so she gets time with her boyfriend (my soon to be 3 year old).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 6:41 PM  

  • yeah, but i invited her second, and two is more than one.

    besides, ms. mcsnark and i have barely seen each other over the past 20 years. clearly i am suffering from a more serious peevish deficit than you.

    By Blogger upyernoz, At 2:00 PM  

  • Awww, y'all are too sweet!! Believe me, even after having lost weight, there's still enough of me to go around ;-) Although I like the idea of a peevish deficit!

    Alas, I shall be cooking for relatives this Thanksgiving after all. The first one to give me any crap gets cranberry sauce up the noz.

    By Blogger Peevish McSnark, At 5:40 PM  

  • I'm out of the loop: what does WCM stand for? I realize it's your husband, but what does it mean!? My whole future depends on my knowing what this is!

    ;-)

    Jules

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 2:43 AM  

  • The WCM stands for the World's Cheapest Man. He's ridiculously cheap, is my husband.

    By Blogger Peevish McSnark, At 10:26 AM  

  • http://peevishmcsnark.blogspot.com/2005/08/he-really-is-i-promise.html#links

    Try that link, if you want a laugh - and proof of his WCM status!

    By Blogger Peevish McSnark, At 10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home