Peevish

Thursday, April 23, 2009

GTFO!!

You know, sometimes I really wonder why certain people became teachers. They whine, bitch, moan, complain, kvetch, and kvell so damned much about every little stinking thing - the students included - that you don't half think they'd have made far better use of their lives doing something like, oh, selling insurance or cleaning the streets or scooping poop in public dog parks.

See, there was this faculty meeting after school today. It was unusually long, as there've been a lot of issues raised recently regarding our governor's controversial wage cut for all state employees. People are understandably grumpy about it - after all, who in their right mind ever welcomes a ten percent reduction in salary? Yeah, that's right: nobody. However, there was one complete castrating bitch strident harridan today that just had to pipe up about the plight of the teacher. You know, how we don't receive paid holidays, take work home all the time, and are generally unappreciated.

Ok, so sure, she has a point. However, there are some perks - at least for me, personally - that make up for those things.
  • One, I don't ever have to work on my birthday. It's during the summer. I have a whole summer free - sure, I don't get paid for it (although it seems like it, since I elect to spread my salary over the 12 months instead of taking it only during the 10 months of the year that I'm in the classroom), but then nobody can compel me to set foot into my classroom on that day.
  • Two, I get to exercise my creativity on a daily basis. I'm not stuck in a cubicle, chained to a computer, slogging through reports and figures. I tried the cubicle-farm wage slave thing and didn't like it. The soul-deadening experience was not an experience I want to repeat.
  • Three, I actually get paid to do something I love. During my very first teaching job, where I didn't have direct-deposit and had to pick up an actual paycheck every week, I routinely forgot about payday. The school secretary would chase me down to give me my money. It was, and still remains, somewhat of a bonus to me - I get paid to come to school every day.

All of this doesn't mean that I don't actually work, because I do. I work hard. It just means that I love what I do. This colleague of mine, well, let me just tell you that this is her second career. She started in industry and has come to teaching through the alternative route to certification. I think it's time for a reminder to smack her upside the head: if, once you've been teaching for a couple of years, you find yourself lamenting the downsides of the classroom and longing for the cubicle, just remember - you're not tied to the profession. If you don't love it, then do us ALL a giant favor and GET THE FUCK OUT ALREADY!!!! Quit your goddamn bitching, STFU, and get on with your life. Nobody wants to hear it, I promise you! You are obviously not cut out for teaching and should do something a little more personally financially rewarding for you.

Thus endeth my rant. Thank you for listening.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • Face facts, school children (who you Americans refer to as stoodents) are a bunch of semi house trained drug abusing pole cats.

    Their only redeeming feature is that they develop into responsible adults. Come to think it, most don't even manage that.

    By Blogger garfer, At 3:41 AM  

  • One felt compelled to listen to the teacher of so many. I for one have learned a valuable lesson.

    Women love to bitch!

    Should you wish to detain me after school has ended today, please be good enough to bring brandy and condoms. Preferrably both.

    Here endeth the lesson.

    By Blogger Barlinnie, At 2:16 PM  

  • Jimmy, if ever Mrs. Bastard is inclined to share, you just let me know. What kind of brandy?

    By Blogger Peevish McSnark, At 6:54 PM  

  • Sing it, sister!
    But man, a 10% cut is harsh! Sorry about that, babe! We're not getting a COLA but so far that's it. Oh, and I probably will still only be part time next year because of minimum class sizes...bah. Let's hope Jeff gets a new job soon.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home