Peevish

Sunday, March 20, 2005

I swear, if I hear one more word about Terry Schiavo...

Aughhh! Will you all just shut up! This whole case is making me nuts! Everywhere I go it's Terry Schiavo this, vegetative state that, a$$hole husband the other.

This poor woman has been reduced to a permanently vegetative state. She's neither completely living nor completely dead. There are those that would argue that since she's brain dead, she's dead. Conversely, there are those that would argue that even though she's brain-dead, since her heart is still beating on its own, she's alive. Remarkably, these beliefs are not neatly split down partisan lines, no matter how many people looking to flame believe they are.

No matter what you believe about her "life," starving and dehydrating someone until they die is barbaric. If my dog were in a similar state, I'd do the humane thing and have it put down with an injection. I would be showing far more compassion than any doctor, lawyer, or family member in this case. If my daughter were in this state, I'd want a more merciful alternative than depriving her of nutrients. I'd want to extend to her the same compassion that I'd show my dog.

What I find most disgusting, though, is that the United States Congress has decided that the fate of ONE PERSON is more important than any pressing matter of, oh say, International Diplomacy, or trivial domestic matters like homeless children or families without health care. Instead, let's talk about one woman and load our grandiose speeches full of bombast about the Sanctity of Human Life.

I'd like to ask people about the Quality of Human Life. Does that matter? Apparently not.

5 Comments:

  • just a tip: if you're really sick of hearing about schiavo, you probably shouldn't post about it. it's just gonna provoke comments, which may cause you to do follow-up posts, and next thing you know you're obsessing about it like everyone else

    so... how 'bout that bomb in doha?

    By Blogger upyernoz, At 6:04 PM  

  • Yeah, you're right. It was just bugging me yesterday. And, like, 3 people read my blog, so I'm not expecting a flood of comments.

    Bomb - sad, as are all bombs.

    By Blogger Peevish McSnark, At 11:19 PM  

  • Hey far be it for me to stop a good thing...I'll continue the thread :-)

    Just a simple Monday morning "me too", however, nothing major. I am also completely disgusted by the fact that they can draft a bill, debate and pass it in senate and congress and get it signed by the prez in less than 2 days. Evidently the wheels of justice only move slowly when they're doing something really important. Sigh.

    -
    Melanie (one of the 3 people reading Bronwen's blog...)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9:12 AM  

  • Amen. You said it better than I could.

    By Blogger portuguesa nova, At 11:08 PM  

  • Hey, rant away!

    Love the Anchored Nomad - she makes me smile!

    By Blogger Peevish McSnark, At 11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home