Peevish

Monday, April 25, 2005

Busy Bee

That's what I've been. I've been reading, of course. That, or scrapbooking, is usually what causes these huge gaps in my blog. I have some recommendations:

If you're a fan of the supernatural, I recommend the fourth installment in Laurell K. Hamilton's Merry Gentry series, A Stroke of Midnight. It's very graphic, in terms of l'amour, so if you're not a fan of "romance," I suggest you steer clear. It features fairies, goblins, brownies, and the demi-fey (which I will not explain, as it would take too long!). Have fun!

Also in the supernatural vein, no pun intended, is the latest vampire novel from Charlaine Harris: Dead to the World, her latest Sookie Stackhouse mystery. It's quite enjoyable, but fast reading. It only took me about 2 hours to complete it, but I still have that rosy good feeling inside.

Romance was definitely in the air when I read Lynn Kurland's most recent book, Dreams of Stardust, which was a vast improvement over the last few. I find that I tend to be loyal to one author until her last 3 books have sucked. Lynn's time was almost over with me, but this one definitely pulled her out of the pit currently inhabited by Catherine Coulter, Jude Devereaux, and Rita Mae Brown. This last book was the same genre of delicate romance that I first loved, with the added bonus of time travel. Definitely a keeper.

I've also been rereading the Lucia books by EF Benson, which I read first in high school and my freshman year of college, oh those many years ago (17, if you'd like to be precise). I find I have a vast deal more insight into the characters now... With age comes wisdom, I suppose, and wrinkles... They were made into a TV series by the BBC, starring Geraldine MacEwan, Prunella Scales, and Nigel Hawthorne. Both the books and the series (Lucia and Mapp I & II) are recommended.

Not recommended (by me) are LA Banks's Vampire Huntress series. I found the first one hard reading. The second wasn't bad - I understood more of the heroine's complicated world. The third, though, was excruciating. Banks writes beautifully, don't get me wrong, but it's at the expense of advancing the plot at a rate that will hold the reader's interest. I got bored halfway through this book and just couldn't take it anymore.

Just 80-ish days until the next Harry Potter. Then another 60-ish days until Diana Gabaldon's next masterpiece, A Breath of Snow and Ashes. Interspersed therein will be one by Sherrilyn Kenyon and a Nora Roberts, and possibly a JD Robb. I should have an excellent summer... You'll be the first to know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home