Peevish

Friday, April 08, 2005

Reality TV

This is the first season that I've watched American Idol past the tryouts. I've always loved the tryouts - people make colossal idiots out of themselves, thinking that they sound like Whitney Houston, when they really sound like a tone-deaf cat being strangled.

Anyway, I've been enjoying it a lot. Strangely, so has the Mister (who incidentally, is tone deaf, and sounds like a howling mutt when he sings.). I really like Nadia, Anwar, Bo, and Carrie. I don't like Scott or Vonzelle, although her voice has definitely gotten stronger the last few shows. This last show when Fantasia made an appearance, I practically had to mute the set, though. I don't know how she was voted in, as her voice is reminiscent of a tone-.. need I rehash the simile?

Survivor, however, is my all-time favorite Reality Show. I've watched every season but the first, and even then, I caught a couple of episodes. I loved the Australian Outback season. The All-Stars were a real kick - go Rupert! This season is bewildering, though. One team has been almost completely annihilated - there's only one member left, Stephanie, and she's at camp by herself. And my girl Steph is completely solid - I think being the last one standing in her tribe speaks well for both her strategy and her strength. The other team annoys me, especially this last week with Tom's autocratic behavior. Whatever. We'll see what happens come the merge, if there's to be one.

I don't really watch any others. The premise of the Bachelor and the Bachelorette put me off completely. How is that any way to identify the love of your life. I suppose it worked for Krista and whats-his-name, though. Joe Millionaire was another one that just turned me off completely. And Fear Factor? Ugh - eating cow eyeballs, buffalo testes, and bull rectums is just waaaaaaay too disgusting for me. The Mister LOVES Fear Factor, so every now and then I catch some of the action when I'm passing through the room. The Amazing Race is interesting, but not enough for me to watch it. I caught the first season, or at least part of it. What I observed are the vast cultural differences that exist in our world. Big Brother - I don't think so. I've got two words for that: Cabin Fever.

The ones on Bravo get the award for the most original reality shows, though. Like Boy Meets Boy, a gay Bachelor; and Project Runway, which was actually quite interesting, though highly subjective in judging.

There are soooo many reality shows nowadays - it would seem to point to our culture's fascination with stardom. Anyone can be a star on a reality show - isn't that the point of them? Do you watch any reality TV? Which ones and why? or Not?

4 Comments:

  • Do you watch any reality TV?

    nope. i have never been able to sit through more than 3 minutes of a reality show. they're all so contrived. i see no reality there at all

    By Blogger upyernoz, At 6:09 PM  

  • Naw, definitely not much reality there...but you know, as much as I'm sure upyernoz is a great person (and this comment is definitely NOT directed specifically at him!)...I also tend to think that there's a great push among the intelligensia to completely discount reality shows and to consider it a badge of honor never to have watched them. It's sort of like the cachet of saying you would NEVER visit mcdonalds or that you don't even OWN a TV, or that you NEVER read USA Today (McNews, as a friend calls it). And of course, they'd never THINK of watching Jerry Springer.

    I gotta admit, in the circles in which I travel, I find myself uttering versions of some of those statements occasionally...but personally, I think all of the above have a place in society. My hubby and I had a pretty intelligent discussion last night about the merits of the different soft serve ice cream cones (I prefer McDs firm texture, Jeff likes DQs fresher, creamier flavor). Then we realized, "Heck, we're talking about CRAP here..."...but you know? We REALIZED we were talking about crap. And sometimes you just want crap. Sometimes, I just crave a BigMac. I know it's not gourmet. I know its' unhealthy. I know it contributes to some of the ills of society. But every once in awhile, that's what I want. SO sue me.

    Reality TV is similar. I think there's way too much of it. And sure, it's contrived. And really, I don't watch it for the most part. But I guess I can see where some would like it-- and who am I to say why they watch? Maybe they like to laugh at it? I've never been into Survivor (My sister is a rabid fan and will not take phone calls when it's on). Personally I find the alliances, backbiting, etc. to be a real turn-off. But the concept is ok. I prefer reality tv where cooperation is the goal, at least to some extent. (Yeah, ok, I did watch the last episode of Joe Millionaire just to see what would happen-- but I couldn't imagine watching all the other episodes? What's the point when all you really care about is the end result? And yeah, I did watch most of Joe M. the international version, but that was only for the foreign accents and locales...) Anyway, the only two reality shows I ever watched with any regularity were "Lost" (only one season, CBS), and "The REAL Gilligan's Island." I've never seen "Amazing Race", but I assume it's similar to Lost, except that in Lost, people were literally dropped in the middle of nowhere (turned out to be mongolia) with no money or id and had to figure out where they were and get back without ANY money. First couple to make it to the statue of liberty wins. It was a neat concept and I'm sorry they nixed it. Gilligan's ISland was something I expected to be totally stupid...and for the most part it was. But it did have something going for it in the first few episodes-- there were 2 teams (2 gilligans, 2 MaryAnns, etc.) and each character competed against each other in physical/mental competitions for the chance to be the "real" Gilligan, etc. Only problem was, they didn't leave it there. Once they had a set of "castaways" they then had them pick off each other and vote people off (ala survivor). THAT sucked. I stopped watching. I looked it up online later and found that the millionaire ended up winning. Sheesh. Talk about a let down. Like he needed it. (Plus, he was a real jerk). So, that's definitely soured me on "reality" shows for awhile.

    More power to you for sitting through "Idol" though. I've enjoyed catching the auditions for a few minutes but they make my head hurt. Oh, I do recall one more "reality"-esque show I liked-- can't remember the name though. In this one, contestants did impersonations of famous stars like Billy Joel, Tina Turner, etc. Now that was cool. Some of them were just amazing!! Wish they would bring that one back. But that's less a reality show (no interaction between contestants) and more like star search or a straight-up game show.

    Wow, I guess I did have something to say. Sorry for hogging the quip space, Bronwen. :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:13 PM  

  • Melanie, you said it better than I could. I completely agree. About the BigMac, too.

    By Blogger Peevish McSnark, At 7:50 PM  

  • Thanks! I did mean to mention though..that even the term "reality tv" is so hard to define. I tend to think of reality tv in terms of unscripted competition shows where people are encouraged to be snippy and blow up at each other...but what about things like talk shows, makeover shows, 'fashion for less' shows, and all the other unscripted or partially scripted stuff out there? To what extent are they "reality tv"??

    If we include the makeover shows (both house and person), I suddenly watch MUCH more reality tv...but I just don't see it quite the same way. Those are as much about getting fashion tips and decorating ideas as they are about watching people squabble and reveal personal info about their lives.

    And thus do we see life is neither black, white, nor grey...but rather a mix of ecru and taupe. ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home