Peevish

Monday, April 25, 2005

No Shame in My Game

Another thing I've been reading recently are blogs. Usually, I go to one of my daily reads (check the list on the sidebar) and read their daily reads. The newest one is one I got from The Anchored Nomad - it's called Petite Anglaise. It's where I got the thought cities have gender.

You see, Petite Anglaise is an English woman living in Paris. She had a flyer on her blog announcing a meeting of Parisian bloggers, and the name of the event was "Paris blogue-t-il?" (Literally, "Paris, does he blog?"; colloquially "Does Paris blog?") It made me think that Paris is not a man for me. She is an elle, not an il. Other than raising intriguing points of grammar and culture, she is an excellent writer who never fails to hit the observational nail squarely on the head.

Another hilarious britblog is My Boyfriend is a Twat. C'mon, with that title, it had to be funny. And it did indeed deliver. The post in "french" just about made me spew yogurt on my computer. I'll probably add that one to my daily read list...

Anyway... back to real life, where I have laundry to do...

1 Comments:

  • all cities are feminine in arabic (because the word for "city" مدينة is feminine), so i guess an arab would think of all cities as female.

    then again, as a native english speaker, i have a hard time thinking of cities as anything but neither. or maybe both. paris, london, wilmington, etc. all have both masculine and feminine sides--largely because they are made of people who are both

    By Blogger upyernoz, At 5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home