Peevish

Saturday, May 21, 2005

I got your opinion right here...

I come from a long line of opinionated women. Women who are not afraid to tell you how to do just about anything - be it arc-welding or baking a perfect Victoria Sponge. Not that there are any professional welders or bakers hiding in the branches of my family tree - no, we'd never do anything like have the weight of knowledge behind our words. Heaven forbid!

In my own small way, I've tried to break with the family line by only expound on that of which I have knowledge. You know, things like baking (skilled amateur only), eating (intensely skilled amateur, seriously thinking of going pro), teaching (skilled professional), and reading (retired professional, now maintaining skilled amateur status). I'd never tell you anything about construction, carpentry, or candle-wicking, although I know some women who could.

I say "my own small way" because, while I can choose to advise on certain subjects, the Buttinsky gene is just too strong to cease expounding altogether. So, I offer my expertise where I see fit. I didn't know just how strong the gene was until this morning, when I was schooled by a rugrat on the proper technique of cheeseball degustation.

"See, after we eat cheeseballs, we have to put our fingers in our mouths. Look - all clean!"

And another leaf on the tree unfurls.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home