Peevish

Sunday, May 15, 2005

Hypertension alert!

Oooooooohh! Do you want to know how to get my blood boiling in 2.5 seconds? Brace yourselves.

Apparently, it has to do with an article my friend Dave found in the New York Times about some Long Island teachers who are making over $100,000 a year. I thought, "Wow! That's great! Good for them!" and I started reading the article. All was well until I came across this bit: (emphasis mine)

Still, critics of the [$100,000] salaries as well as those who consider them necessary
agree that the image of teaching as an altruistic, low-paid occupation is no longer the case in the suburbs. A family with two public school teachers can
earn enough to put it in the top 4 percent of families on Long Island.

So, I'm not altruistic if I make over a certain amount? Where's the change in the State salary scale that changes me from an altruistic educator to a materialistic, shallow gold-digger? Apparently there's a cap on the price of my pearls of wisdom. Is there a similar cap on the other "altruistic" professions, like, say Doctors? 'Fraid not.

There are those that will argue that Doctors have more education, spend long hours at the hospital, and have the power to diagnose and cure diseases. So, for this, they get to keep the "altruist" label and be paid a boatload of cash. Let me see, I've got 2 degrees (BA, MA), six years of education, 13 years of teaching experience (ranging from kindergarten to university - certainly equivalent to an internship and residency), and can diagnose ADD/ADHD with startling accuracy. Can that Doctor create and deliver a lesson taking into consideration the IEPs and 504s of different students, differentiate his/her instruction, and implement varied teaching strategies to reach all learners, while keeping it engaging and interesting and all in a foreign language? I didn't think so. So, can I make the same amount of money as that doctor and still be altruistic?

Probably not, in the eyes of society. The problem, in my opinion, lies with the "perception" of teachers and teaching, as it always has. What got my blood to boil was this bit (emphasis mine):

"We're trying to convince people that our teachers and teachers' union and
administrators do not have the children's interest at heart," said Richard
Graham, a member of the anti-tax group. "The people who couldn't do the
engineering, and anything else that required some brain
power,
became teachers, and they now have $100,000 salaries."

Those that can't do, teach, eh? I'd just laugh it off, but this is sooo bloody typical of what I hear whenever I'm asked what I do for a living. It only gets worse when I tell them I teach French. People are amazed that a French Teacher can speak fluent French, as if I study up the night before to stay just ahead of the kids. So, I and the rest of my colleagues are short on brain power, Mr. Graham? Here's a bit of brain power for you, from this French teacher: vas te faire foutre, sale espece de cretin chiant!

[insert typical teacher muttering here, e.g., I'd love for him to spend a day/week/month/hour in my classroom and see what salary he thinks I deserve. More than what I make now, that's for sure...] I suppose that teachers will never enjoy a salary commensurate with other professions that have the same degree of education and experience.

Now I don't mean to disparage Doctors, here. I would be no better than Mr. Graham. Plus, I love Doctors - they keep me healthy. I should also say that there are other "low paid altruistic" professions - Social Workers, Paramedics, and Clergy, to name a few - that would deserve a hefty raise in salary. It couldn't hurt. These people serve the masses for relatively little monetary gain. And the money isn't really the issue. It's the respect. My problem is that Mr. Graham implied that it's ok to pay teachers peanuts because it's what our job is worth. I think Mr. Graham should homeschool.

You know, I don't need $100,000 to enjoy what I do. I sure wouldn't turn it down, though.

4 Comments:

  • I've profiled a number of administrators that earn over $250,00 (plus perks) each year.

    Insterestingly, no one in the media expects them to work out of a sense of "altruism."

    Sadly, classroom teaching is one of the few professions where one hears codewords such as "altruism" and "calling" applied to it.

    What they really mean is that those who teach our future generations aren't worth the same level of compensation as "real" professionals. They assert that teachers should be happy to work for subsistance wages in exchange for being given the opportunity to work with the children of others.

    Adjusted for inflation, (as well as increased performance expectations due to NCLB) $100,000 isn't all that much money.

    Perhaps a more interesting question would be why aren't more teachers earning at least $100,000 annually.

    By Blogger EdWonk, At 11:34 PM  

  • $100,000 sounds like a lot of money to me. it's a bit more than i earn. but i'm just an altruistic lawyer

    By Blogger upyernoz, At 3:38 PM  

  • Bravissima, Bronwen!
    Makes my blood boil too...we're house hunting now and although I'm generally not one who looks with envy on the "stuff" of others too much, I gotta say that looking at all the folks with McMansions and 2 SUVs in the lot who work God knows what sort of jobs (probably with MBAs or BAs...certainly not PhDs) just gets to me after awhile. You'd think a college prof could afford a nice house. At least they used to where *I* grew up. We'll be lucky to squeeze into a starter home, I'm afraid. And I'm tenure track at a respected liberal arts college. Sigh.

    Oh and another thing...I'm totally with you on the ludicrous thought that a language teacher can actually SPEAK the language! You know the comment I get most often when I tell people I teach German? "Ah, Sprechen Sie Deutsch!?" I've taken to answering them now with "Nope, and when my boss finds out I'm really going to be in trouble..." That'll fix 'em.... :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 2:10 PM  

  • Just to be contrarian:


    Anybody here know of any teacher ever fired for incompetence? or held finacially responcible for graduating kids who can't read?

    What does a teacher with an MA and 13yrs of experiance make?

    How does that compare to the median income in Delaware?

    What's the average SAT of engineering students at UofD? Whats the average SAT of Education students?

    butI'm sure you all are above average.

    Everybody would like to be paid more.

    GRump

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home