Peevish

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

The Girly-girl's perspective on the Football Hall of Fame

So today we went to the Football Hall of Fame. As I lined up my camera to take a shot of the Johnny Unitas statue in the lobby of the HOF, my Dear Husband, the WCM sneered "you don't even know who he is." Well, true dat. However, I could truthfully say "Of course I do - he was a football player." Which, as a true girlie-girl, is all the answer you'll ever need for this excursion.

The truth is, I insisted that we visit the Football HOF. I enjoy football, and it's not just for the totally ripped and sweaty hunks in tight bun-huggers. It's a fascinating game, philosophically. Think about it - you have men who will willingly cripple themselves in pursuit of this game. They gather in a corps, united against a common foe, facing the other down on the gridiron battlefield. Do I sound like the NFL Films guy?

It was really cool to see all the football history. As a G-G, I liked watching the evolution of the uniforms. Did you know that the old ones were knit, and had a long tail that buttoned at the crotch to keep them from riding up? I didn't until today. I read accounts of the first games and saw copies of the first professional football contracts. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. I highly recommend it.

So did the WCM.

Tomorrow, I'm going to the Rock & Roll HOF, where I expect to know a lot more than I did today.

2 Comments:

  • I thought football players were too macho to wear knit.

    Maybe it's the Percoset haze I'm in speaking, but that is just hilarious to me for some reason.

    Isn't that right Stimpy?

    >Yup, almost as funny as my show airing on Nick back in the day!

    Shut up, Stimpy

    P.S. : Someone PLEASE read my BLOG!!!

    taylorheffernan.blogspot.com

    By Blogger 21meteorstreet, At 3:26 AM  

  • Ah...you're in Cleveland! Wasn't sure which part of Ohio you were headed for, but the Rock&Roll Hall of Fame line cleared it up. You do know that's where Rat Bastard lives, right? Spit on the street for me, ok? :-) (Actually, at last account a year ago or so, he was planning to move to California...who knows if that happened or not).

    Cleveland, despite the bad rap, is actually a pretty cool town though, as I'm sure you're finding out. Good public transit, tons of museums (the art museum near Case Western is FREE by the way, and the campus is quite pretty), and some excellent restaurants too. One of my very favorites is a middle-eastern place called Aladdins (in Shaker Heights). Last year when in Columbus for a gaming convention, I found out they have a branch there too-- heavenly!!! Their almond salad dressing is absolutely to DIE for!! (Very reasonable prices too, which ought to please WCM).

    Oh, and if you're still at a loss for things to see, the Science Center is right next to the Rock N Roll HoF, and is every bit as good as the Franklin Institute if not better. (Great interactive exhibits).

    Ah, Cleveland...I almost miss it. NOT! ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home