Peevish

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Goodnight, sleep tight

There is nothing on earth more heart-meltingly sweet as the sight of a sleeping child. This is one of life's many fundamental truths - one that I've been letting slip by me in the last frantic weeks of school. As things got busier and busier, it was easier to rush through the bedtime ritual so I could have a smidgen of time to myself before I, too, allowed Mr. Sandman to bring me a dream. Tonight, though, on my second full day of summer vacation, I felt things slow down.

Miss Peanut has been staying up later since I've been off, in vain hopes that she'll sleep later in the mornings. Tonight, I carted her off to bed at 9 pm - way later than normal - after watching her rub her eyes for the fourth time in ten minutes. I read her a Princess story, pulled up her covers, and turned out the bedroom light. The hall light was on, banishing the childhood monsters that lurk in the shadows to the corners of the room.

"Pat my back, Mommy."

The light blanket muffles the soft thuds that help Peanut to sleep. My other hand tangles in her soft hair, gently stroking her scalp, as her eyes drift shut. The soft curve of her cheek beckons to me, just begging for a kiss. As I lean down to press my lips to her smooth skin, she murmurs "I'm ready to go to sleep now, Mommy."

I whisper our good night rhyme: "Good Night, Sleep Tight, Dream of..." and I pause.

"...Good fairies tonight" she finishes.

"I love you, Peanut."

"I love you, too."

My child, my heart.

3 Comments:

  • I love these to entries. I'm becoming an art teacher in Colorado. I know i'm gooing to have good years and bad. Keep it up!

    By Blogger Jeff, At 11:53 PM  

  • (head explodes from cuteness overload)

    H4PPY F0R j00 4|\|D P34|\|UT

    I like the fact that she's called Peanut. My younger cousin Anthony's baby-hood nickname: Satan

    "Good Night Satan"

    WTF?!

    By Blogger 21meteorstreet, At 5:56 AM  

  • Ok, no fair to post way-adorable entries like these when my body is just flooded with pregnancy hormones. ;-)

    You're "lucky" it's also flooded with nausea hormones from continued morning sickness or I'd probably be getting tears on the keyboard.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home