Peevish

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Halcyon Days

So, is there any time in your memory that you were mortally wounded by the word "slowpoke?"

There were many words and taunts that pierced my tender young heart during my years at school, but slowpoke was not among them - even though I was always the second slowest runner in my class, after Will P. I hated running, I hated gym class, and I really hated Mariza because that little bitch was fast! I liked Mariza a lot when we weren't in gym class, but she could really fly around the track. I envied her that ability. Mariza is now a pediatric neurosurgeon, and I envy her a lot more than her speed. Impressive, huh? But I digress.

Everyone, I'm sure, has some searing memory about their time in primary school when they were bullied or made to feel inferior - too short, too fat, funny clothes, too tall, too skinny, too dorky, you name it. Kids are tough on one another. I sometimes think that it's by grace of selective memory that we make and keep our childhood friends.

Miss Peanut had her first full day of Kindergarten today. I sent her off with the typical worries - will she fit in? Will she be accepted? Will she learn anything? Realistically, I shouldn't have worried about her fitting in or being accepted, as three of her friends from pre-school were going with her, but, remembering my tough childhood, I couldn't help myself. I picked her up from daycare this afternoon, practically trembling in anticipation of her dramatically throwing herself into my arms, collapsing in sobs, declaring she never wanted to go back to that evil place where everyone hated her ever again!!! Didn't happen. She didn't say much about school, except that she didn't like gym class.

See, I actually got a note from Miss Peanut's teacher, saying that she made two poor choices in her behavior today, and one of them was calling one of her friends a "slowpoke." I guess she's not just like me after all.

My child, the bully. Maybe she'll be a pediatric neurosurgeon, too.

6 Comments:

  • Yay! First!

    Slowpoke. I like that word. I've no idea what it means, but i still like it.

    I have no childhood memories that I've retained, thankfully. The horror of it all would be too much for delicate wee me.

    Give Miss Peanut time. Those tears will come. She'll wander in one day and announce that she HATES her school and her friends and her teachers and her lunch and the fact that they use cheap toilet paper.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 6:52 AM  

  • Slowpoke - someone who is slower than everyone else and just pokes about. You'd like a slow poke, wouldn't you?

    Oh, great - so Miss Peanut's going to turn into a cantankerous librarian from Salford? Bite your tongue!

    By Blogger Peevish McSnark, At 8:46 AM  

  • *fights the urge*

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 1:20 PM  

  • We still call a big ice cream on a cone a "poke"

    I used to go into our local cafe and ask the female assistant for a real long slow poke.

    Hence the head bruising and brain damage.

    By Blogger S.I.D., At 5:05 PM  

  • Sorry, just got fresh batteries in my vibrator. Been busy.

    Will post tomorrow.

    Promise.

    By Blogger Peevish McSnark, At 10:25 PM  

  • Is it tomorrow yet?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home