Peevish

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Pilates?

Has anyone out there tried this exercise? Mat method, not ginormous BDSM-frame Pilates, that is. I just tried a Pilates class tonight, and quite frankly, I'm not sure what to think about it.

Here's the scoop - parts of it were quite easy and other parts quite difficult. The single moves, like leg lifts or extensions, or lying on your stomach and pretending to swim, were nearly effortless. The combination moves, like doing a push-up with your left leg extended behind you toward the ceiling, well, if I had balls, they'd be busted.

Here's the thing, though: at no point did I break a sweat. I flushed, sure, but that's in my genetic makeup - we merely have to think about physical exertion and we attain a rosy-hued complexion. Does it really count as exercise if you don't sweat? I can tell you that I already feel my muscles in a way I hadn't before the class, but I feel like I really didn't do much because I'm not drenched in perspiration.

Am I doing it wrong or something?

4 Comments:

  • I would probably sweat profusely, slip and then break my nose.

    By Blogger pissoff, At 11:16 PM  

  • I am allergic to sweat.

    I tried the Alexander technique once and I couldn't walk for a week.

    By Blogger garfer, At 11:27 AM  

  • I've never done Pilates, but if you can feel your muscles, it's likely that it's working. Muscle-building doesn't always require sweat. That's more the cardiovascular type workouts.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:01 PM  

  • Heya, girl. I've never done Pilates either, but my sister loves it. From what I've read, the big deal with Pilates is core-strengthening, not fat burning. You're not supposed to (necessarily) get your heart rate up--kinda like with Yoga I guess. That's not to say that some types of pilates *won't* be a pretty intense workout (I have broken sweat in yoga and lifting weights...but then I feel about like you do with regards to exercise). I think in conjunction with other types of workouts, it's probably a worthwhile thing. In particular, I would think that working on the core would help with the whole saggy-stomach thing that we fluffies and former-fluffies have trouble with. Did you *like* it?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home