Peevish

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Bits and Pieces

Because my mind is working in fits and starts these days - divided among school, family, friends, and hobbies, and not necessarily in that order - I offer you these bits and pieces of cognitive detritus. Do with them what you will.
*

So far, I've heard loads of funnies in the hallways of my high school. One girl was chatting cattily with a friend about another girl when I happened to be within earshot, and I overheard the truly priceless description of "she thinks she's Queen Shit on Turd Island." Well, that was worth a giggle - and not a detention - that day.

Another student's parting shot as he sailed out of school for the day was "I'm OUT, like titties at a strip club."

***

Cake has gone stale in my house. I baked one on Wednesday night, because I was trying out a cupcake recipe for a new colleague's birthday (more on that later) and only needed to make 6 cupcakes. I poured the rest of the batter in a smallish square pan (8x8, if you must know) and baked it. After I was done working cupcake magic, I frosted the cake (chocolate! even!) thickly with the rest of the (chocolate! again!) frosting. Nobody, including me, has touched it.

There is a half-gallon of ice cream - Edy's Loaded Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup - that has been in the fridge for 2 weeks, similarly untouched.

The WCM bought a tub of scrumptious coconut macaroons at Trader Joe's a week ago, and aside from the obligatory one-macaroon sample - necessary to declare them scrumptious - they are still sitting in their clear plastic tub on the counter.

WTF? I am perplexed, yet not particularly hungry. Maybe that's why I'm sitting at a new record low weight for me. It makes me nervous and more than a little insecure, body-image-wise. But, hey - I know that if I'm too nervous about it, I certainly know how to make the number on the scale move UP.

*****

My legs hurt - pleasantly so, though - from some fairly athletic and bendy canoodling I was doing the other day. Ha ha! I canoodled! I am smug with my canoodling! And also yoga.

*******

Those cupcakes I was talking about? Deeeeelicious. This is what I did - I baked 6 chocolate cupcakes. Then, I popped them out of the silicone liners. After that, I cut the tops off ("Off with their heads!" - I am a French teacher, after all). Following that, I cut the bottoms off and replaced them in the silicone muffin cups. I put four of the lovely middles into my mouth in the freezer. I then softened a pint of mint chocolate chip ice cream and layered some over each of the cupcake bottoms. I replaced the tops and froze these mini ice-cream cakes until they were solid. Once they were solid, I frosted them, and put them back into the freezer. They were yummy. Very yummy. And appreciated by my whole department. All 6 of us.

*********

And that's all I have to show for my last 2 weeks of toil and travail. Perhaps y'all did better.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

  • Dear me, the economy teeters on the brink of collapse and you bake cup cakes.

    That's the kind of attitude that saw London through the blitz.

    By Blogger garfer, At 4:08 PM  

  • Nah, I'm more like Madame DuFarge - knitting during the beheadings at La Place de la Concorde. My cupcakes lost their heads, after all.

    Alternatively, I could be Scarlett O'Hara, dismissively trilling out "fiddle-dee-dee" at the economy.

    By Blogger Peevish McSnark, At 4:25 PM  

  • I'm impressed that you even had time to post. What with it being the beginning of the school year and all. I'm overloaded here. Heck, I'm impressed that I have time to comment!

    But I've been thinking about a post off and on, mostly when I'm out shopping, so who knows, maybe I'll take a few minutes and just get it out.

    The cupcakes sound lovely, very time-consuming, your colleagues must feel loved (or at least appreciated).

    By Blogger might I add...?, At 6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home