Peevish

Friday, November 28, 2008

Have you seen my taste buds?

They've gone MIA - my taste buds, that is. This cold has knocked them right out of my mouth. I can feel the textures of what I'm eating, but the flavor is gone. Let me tell you, it kind of took the wind out of my Thanksgiving sails.

I'm not loving this holiday, what with all of the sickness and such.

Today, being Black Friday, was a day of conspicuous consumption. I went out and joined the post-festive throng, but I bought fairly modestly. I hit Gymboree when they were still having their 30% off sale, and got a bag brimming with clothes for Miss Peanut for nearly half-price, once I used my 20% coupon. I love a score like that! I have to still find something for my mother and my stepmother, but other than that, I'm all done my shopping. The WCM and I agreed yesterday that we didn't want our gifts wrapped. What's the point of adults giving each other wrapped gifts? It's just a pointless waste of paper and effort. Feh.

But that's all I did today, other than slapping together some turkey sandwiches and smashing them in the George Foreman grill. They would have been fantastic if I could have tasted them...

But, tomorrow? Tomorrow, I take Miss Peanut down to her grandmother's for a sleepover, and the WCM is taking me out to see the Trans-Siberian Orchestra! And then? We're going out to dinner at a really neat Brazilian restaurant!

For years, this man has refused to go to any sort of cultural event. See, if you didn't have anything tangible to take away, then it wasn't worth spending money in his opinion. I was raised on what seemed like a never-ending series of cultural events - ballet, opera, museums, shows, recitals, culture, Culture, CULTCHAH!!!! - so it's been a quiet 20 years with the WCM. He's just now gotten around to realizing that sometimes you just don't need any more stuff and can just have a nice experience. Quite a reversal in his thinking.

So please, if you're of the prayerful bent, lift one up that I get my tastebuds back in time for the Brazilian Barbecue? Or swing a chicken for me. Or take the pin out of the voodoo doll's mouth!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • Grrrr. Computer ate my last comment. Anyhoo, sorry about your tastebud tragedy. Mine don't seem in very good fettle this year either. Stupid viruses.

    Hope you have a lovely time at the the-ay-tah, and enjoy the carols. My church in Charleston actually did a Christmas Program of TSO carols one year-- it was somewhat odd but fun. And I do hope the Brazilian is yummy!

    If you're still interested in coming down for a weekend of cooking/girl time, let me know. I'm sure december will fill up fast for both of us!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9:51 AM  

  • Whenever I hear the word culture I reach for my gun, or Britney and Billy ray Cyrus.

    By Blogger garfer, At 6:57 PM  

  • Mel - I'm so interested in cookies/candy/girltime! However, as you say, December is nearly full already! I'll call ya!

    Garfer - I usually think of a petri dish, myself. I guess that's what comes of living with a scientist for 19 years, eh?

    By Blogger Peevish McSnark, At 8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home