Peevish

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Running

In the past, if you've been reading a while, you may have heard me wax rhapsodic over Pilates. I've enthused about the Wii fit, as well. I may even have penned a sonnet or two about walking, though it was more on the ability to do so than on any enjoyment received from such.

Just recently, I've started running, as I want to do that 5 K. I can promise you, I believe, to never wax lyrical about the joys of running. Quite frankly, it's almost more than I can manage to get one foot in front of the other in a synchronized fashion and propel myself forwards into motion. I can just about run a quarter of a mile all at once now. While shamefully proud of this rather negligible accomplishment, I will tell you that the joy is only in the accomplishing it and not in the actually doing it.

Frankly, I have always thought that the process of doing something - for a hobby, mind you, not professionally - was far more important than the end result. For me, I have always found more enjoyment in the creation of a scrapbook page than I ever have in regarding the finished page itself. The crocheting is more fun than smoothing the finished afghan on my lap, and the reading of the book, getting lost in the words and the story, are far more delectable than merely finishing the requisite number of pages.

I am struggling, therefore, with running. I want to like it, as it's a very healthy habit that I'd like to be able to adopt. Many of my friends are running now, and I'd like, literally, to keep up with them. However, for the life of me, I can find no joy in doing it.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • Oh man, I am so not a runner nor have I ever been. I'm right there with you, babe. I, too, want to like it, but I totally loathe it. Even when my bod was hot to trot, it trotted...it never ran. If you find the secret, please pass it along.

    Now, biking...I much prefer biking. I like my exercise in the seated position.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 2:55 PM  

  • I'm too big to run these days. As much as I want to get out there in the sunshine and jog along with my sons, while listening to moozik, I cannae.
    My knees are too old, my stamina not what it was.

    I swim... I circuit train, and I do the gym, but swimming is the new running for those over 40.

    Thank fuck for that.

    By Blogger Barlinnie, At 3:42 AM  

  • There is that thing called the "runner's high" if you stick w/it long enough.

    And it doooooooes feel good!!

    By Anonymous Hube, At 11:34 AM  

  • i'm with onthecurb, biking is a lot easier to like than running. plus, it's a lot easier on your knees. you can also run errands by bike, making it seem like you're getting both your exercise and other stuff done at once.

    just my two cents.

    By Blogger upyernoz, At 1:07 PM  

  • OTC & Noz - I have a bike, and I like riding it. Thing is, I can't bike that 5K, and I have a Bucket List commitment.

    Jimmy - envisioning you in a pair of trunks *swoons*

    Hube - I'm allergic to endorphins. Never experienced 'em, probably never will.

    By Blogger Peevish McSnark, At 6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home