Peevish

Sunday, January 16, 2005

Shades of Elle Woods

So I went and got a manicure and pedicure on Friday. Do you remember that scene in Legally Blonde where Elle is depressed and heads to the salon to get her nails done? Yep, I now know why. It is so marvelously therapeutic! The whole experience is like Nirvana for a sensualist like me. First, your tootsies are immersed in a scented, swirling pool of warm water where they can flirt with the bubbles created by the whirlpool jets. Then, your nails are carefully shaped and the cuticles playfully nipped to prevent painful ingrown nails and hangnails. Depending on your salon, your soles are either shaved or roughly scrubbed with a pumice stone to reveal the baby-soft new skin. Exfoliation follows, where a gritty gel is massaged into your calves and feet, softening and renewing your skin. After the rinse, warmed lotion is smoothed onto the tender skin, soothing and caressing your legs. Polish is slicked on, and your feet are suddenly the most beautiful part of your body. While I normally view my feet as a method of transportation, now I glance down at my toes and get a boost by how cute they look. Sick, huh?

Even worse, my nails match. I feel outrageously pampered and completely feminine. Delicate, even, and that's really an accomplishment for a woman built roughly like a draught horse. Working on it, though. That's what the manicure/pedicure was for - a reward for losing 30 pounds. I'm big on rewards. Really big. So, I'll stick with Elle for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home