Peevish

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

On voracious reading...

My friend Sara and I were talking about our reading habits the other day. I am a voracious reader - I gobble up books like PacMan gobbles dots. I crave the written word like a junkie, waiting for her next fiction fix. Sara, meanwhile, likes to stretch out the enjoyment and is known to...*gasp* hold on to a book for a month or two without reading it! She says that if she knows there isn't going to be another one for a while, she'll put off reading a book for a while so it's closer to the release of the next one. Egads, what self-control!

Not so for me: I was reading a lot this weekend, to the tune of 4.5 books finished in 3 days. I finished the one Lindsey Davis book that I was working on (The Accusers) and started the new one (Scandal Takes a Holiday). That was enough to whet my appetite for a more substantial read, so I started Kelley Armstrong's Stolen. WOW! What a read! If you go for the preternatural stuff (vampires and werewolves and demons, oh my!), this is a book for you!! It's a sequel to her debut novel, Bitten, which in my opinion was not as good as her sophomore effort. I followed this up with the next two novels in the series: Dime Store Magic and Industrial Magic. These are more based in witchcraft. Excellent books, and very engaging. I recommend them to anyone who likes the genre, even though they're hardly fine literature.

With that said, it's about time for my annual Pride and Prejudice reading. I was perusing my DVDs the other day, and my gaze landed on the A&E version of Pride and Prejudice, which is, in my not-so-humble opinion, the only one to watch. I usually reread the book once a year if not more. There's always something different in every read, whether it be a nuance of language I hadn't noticed before, or a phrase that tickles my funnybone ("I am all astonishment!"). I have to thank my Dad for this gift: I was 11 years old and out of books to read, so as a last resort, I asked my father for his recommendation. I think he was "all astonishment" at my actually asking for his advice, so he consulted his own extensive library and came back with the aforementioned slim volume of Austen. I've been an Austenite ever since.

Northanger Abbey is the only Jane Austen book I haven't read. I just can't bring myself to read it, as I know that once I do, there will be no more. Nothing to look forward to. I guess I can understand Sara's refusal to rush headlong into her books. I'll probably read this book eventually. Just not this weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home