Peevish

Monday, February 20, 2006

In which my father forays into pop culture

My father's last journey into the world of pop culture was sometime between 1975 and 1978 before retreating into the insular world of cultural elitism - ballet, opera, and public television. Upon realizing that he would have to take a 9 hour car trip with his 4 year old granddaughter, Dad decided to brush up on his pop culture and bring a CD of "modern music" with him.

Dancing Queen? Waterloo? The Winner Takes It All?

Yes. Modern music, according to my paterfamilias is ABBA.

So, the soundtrack of the road trip went as follows - NPR (National Public Radio), ABBA Gold, Bryn Terfel, Verdi's Macbeth, Beethoven Piano Sonatas (performed by Van Cliburn), and a Laurie Berkner children's CD that I brought for Miss Peanut.

Thank God for my MP3 player. I owe the WCM big-time for that gift. Not that I don't like my Dad's taste in music (except for Bryn Terfel - he got on my nerves). I was raised with it, so even if I didn't enjoy it, I have the appropriate musical antibodies. I just like choosing my own soundtrack - which is a bit more modern and varied than Dad's, bless his heart.

8 Comments:

  • Oh dear gawd.

    I hoped I'd never hear the name 'Abba' ever again.

    It's all too much for this little queen. I'm cursed.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 4:23 AM  

  • Oh and Yay! I was first!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 4:24 AM  

  • Ha! That brought back memories! My Dad was (and still IS) into Marty Robbins, Buck Owens and Roy Clark!

    I grew up watching "Hee Haw"...remember that show???

    Yikes!

    By Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen, At 8:48 AM  

  • My parents listen to B101. Whenever I'm in their car for whatever reason, I feel tortured.

    And then there are the Barry Manilow or Michael Crawford CDs.

    No amount of Excedrin Migraine can help at that point.

    By Blogger Maidy, At 10:00 AM  

  • *sighs*
    between you and garfer, with his Leo Sayer post, I am doomed to listen to squeaky, cheesy earworms all day!

    By Blogger Kyahgirl, At 11:54 AM  

  • I love ABBA.

    And so, despite the fact that we all know ABBA is not NEW, I am pleased Peanut was exposed to it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 1:44 PM  

  • There was something in the air that night, it smelt like shite, Fernando.

    By Blogger garfer, At 5:33 PM  

  • Piggy - but are you a Dancing Queen?

    Stacy - I used to watch Hee Haw with my grandparents all the time when I was a kid.

    Maidink - B101 *shudder* there is NO excuse.

    Kyahgirl - nyah nyah!

    Whinger - I actually OWN Abba gold on CD. I like it. It was funny that my dad thought it was modern, though.

    Garfer - upon hearing the lyrics to Fernando, my father proclaimed that they could have been written by Ernest Hemingway. Crikey.

    By Blogger Peevish McSnark, At 6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home