Peevish

Sunday, April 23, 2006

With apologies to Stacy, I present to you the Peanut Palace

I have a colossal sunburn. Maybe I'll show it to you later. I got this sunburn helping Miss Peanut build a sand castle.

Sand castles, to me, have always been mounds of sand topped with seashells. As I got older, I created mounds of wet sand surrounded by crenellated towers, made with the assistance of a bucket and shovel. Moats of seawater surrounded my fortresses and seashells decorated the sides. When older still, I learned how to create an arched doorway, fit for a portcullis and drawbridge. Still, my main ingredient was sand.

On Thursday, when Miss Peanut announced that she was going to make a sand castle, I walked over and retrieved the shovel and bucket. Miss Peanut turned and walked up to the dunes, where she collected strange reedy grasses. Huh? Grasses? O-kaaaaaay...

She began trying to plant them in the wet sand. Intrigued, I showed her how to bore holes in the sand with a rock. Since they dredged offshore by Folly Beach, there were loads of black fossil rock on the beach, washed up by the current. She began planting her reeds in a sweeping line, until she needed some thing else. She told me to make a circle, and then scuttled off down the beach. I planted the rest of the reeds in a circle and dug a trench in front of them, excavating my favorite material - sand - to hold the reeds in place.

Miss Peanut came back holding a pile of the black rocks, which she placed in the trench. The WCM kept her supplied in rocks and she created a sweeping curved wall that echoed the curve of the reeds. I couldn't help but stand there and marvel at her creation. Being a proud mother, I had to share it.



Impressive, huh? She's four and a half years old. Am I crazy, or is this child a genius?

8 Comments:

  • Ahhh!!! So cute!!!

    She's a genius.

    By Blogger portuguesa nova, At 3:06 PM  

  • My sandcastles were never very good. Then again, my childhood was spent figuring out how to turn the viewing end of a six-inch telescope into a sort of "Death Star" for carpenter ants (Hint: remove scope from tripod, position about six inches above anthill, align with sun, eyepiece down. Recruit friend if necessary.). I could have been creating, but I was plotting arthropod genocide.

    Just be glad your little one focuses on abstract sand sculpture.

    By Blogger Milo, At 10:06 AM  

  • She's artistically brilliant!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 2:18 PM  

  • You helped her didn't you??

    If not, she is the next Picasso.

    By Blogger S.I.D., At 5:35 PM  

  • Sulivans Island is more of a family beach; Isle of Palms gets the wealthy tourists at the Racquet Club; Folly is the laid back, party place. Wonder if you'll go to Seabrook or Kiawah Islands. Eat some she-crab soup. Watch ladies at the Market make baskets. Go to the Battery and down Rainbow Road.

    Ah, I am homesick.

    By Blogger Morgan, At 2:14 PM  

  • Either she is a genius, or your womb was implanted with the seed of an evil alien intelligence.

    I suspect the latter.

    By Blogger garfer, At 4:53 PM  

  • lovely brilliant child. I expect no less.

    By Blogger Kyahgirl, At 5:35 PM  

  • Wow! Very impressive. There is nothing better than sitting back and marveling at your child's creation.

    My kids' creations are mostly made out of train tracks. The Peanut's is so much more inspiring! ;-)

    By Blogger Tuna Girl, At 12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home