Peevish

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Whassup, Peeps?

Yeah, the post is cheesy, but I'm sitting here in bed with a stale Peep in my mouth, just feeling the love for the whole world. I've had a busy Easter and, given the fact that I'm an agnostic raised by atheists, that's saying something!

I rolled out of bed this morning at about 9:45, since I was late getting to bed last night. The WCM had run into work to tend to some lab chores, so the house was peaceful. By 10:15, I was putting a cheesecake into the oven to bake. We were going to my Mom's for Easter Dinner, and she requested cheesecake - sticking it to my Aunt Bobbie, who wouldn't share her cheesecake recipe. I made a traditional Italian Ricotta cheesecake, instead of the New York style cream cheese brick recipe.

I also whipped up some Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Streusel topping and a big pan of Scalloped Potatoes to take. This took me most of the late morning and early afternoon, as I cook from scratch - no boxes for me! - and only have one oven.

Showers for me and the WCM, clothes, hair, no time for makeup! Mom would have to deal with my naked face - she gets miffed if I don't wear makeup. It's like I don't care, or something (um, I don't!).

We got to my mom's a little late, but still arrived well before my brother and his girlfriend arrived. The food - Oh. My. God. the food. Usually, I don't trust my mother with anything but the meat, and even then it's a dicey proposition - this woman can burn water! Today, she made a ham, and because that didn't look like enough food for 8 people, she put in 3 racks of spareribs.

For appetizers? Some shrimp wrapped in bacon with a horseradish cream sauce, because you can never have enough pig, I suppose. There was brie with honey and walnuts served with a gorgeous loaf of Tuscan bread, prosciutto-wrapped canteloupe, and a duck pate with truffles. All of this was delicious, except for the duck pate, which made me wish I was flexible enough to bend over and lick my own butt to get the nasty taste out of my mouth. Nasty!!

The ham and spareribs were joined by about 4 pounds of asparagus, the Sweet potato casserole, the scalloped potatoes, corn on the cob, buttermilk biscuits, baked beans, and coleslaw. The table was groaning under the weight of this feast. I dabbed a bunch of stuff onto my plate - 3 ribs, some of each of the potatoes, and 2 stalks of asparagus. I barely had room for cheesecake afterwards, but DAMN! it was good.

We brought our Peanut home, who fell asleep in the car, absolutely knackered from a weekend at Nana's, and had our Easter Egg hunt. The Easter Bunny, aka the WCM, hid the eggs around the first floor of our house for her to find. She had herself a bit of a candy fest, declared she didn't like Peeps but loved Reese's cups, and slumped off to bed after brushing her teeth. Which, of course, leaves me with the Peeps to myself.

So, me and my Peeps wish you and yours a Happy Easter!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home