Peevish

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Bits and Bobs

There is a bunch of shite are snippets of stuff that have been infesting my brain today that I just have to unload.

*****
I am obsessive about cleaning my ears. When we were little, my step-mother told my brother that there was so much dirt in his ears that he could grow potatoes in them. His earwax was pretty impacted in one ear, so the doctor had to clean it out with a syringe. Nasty. Ever since, I've been vigilant about wielding the cotton buds and cleaning the nasties out. I know, I know - I've heard that you should never put anything smaller than your elbow in your ear. But honestly, I can't stand the itchy feeling I get when I go for more than a day without twizzling a Q-tip around in my auditory canal. My Aunt Roberta took it one step further and used the curved end of a bobby pin. Now that's hard core.

*****
I have clicker envy. The clicker - you know, that little electronic doodad that remotely unlocks the car doors - is one of the many options that I didn't get with my last car. I should have splurged. It seems today that everyone and her sister has a clicker while I am left doing things the old-fashioned way. I don't have power locks, either, meaning that my passenger has to bother locking the door manually upon exiting the vehicle. Added to this, they have to crank down their own windows, too. I want one of those cute little clickers that will unlock my doors when I have my hands loaded down with groceries, handbag, and Miss Peanut.

*****
We had a "Courageous Conversation" about race today for our faculty meeting. I was once again irked, as these conversations are occurring so we can close the achievement gap that exists between our Caucasian and African-American students, yet they do not offer any concrete strategies or even abstract hypotheses for doing so. They are mainly focused on how our lives are impacted by race, and how, since I'm white, I've been subject to "white privilege." I'm a trifle bemused by this "benefit," as it's not something I asked for and it's not something I want to be resented for, either. If someone's going to resent me, then I want to be resented for my accomplishments, not my race. These conversations have the interesting side benefit of making me feel guilty about the color of my skin. I wonder how courageous that conversation would be considered?

*****
Cheese is possibly the world's most perfect food. I adore it. From Saint Andre to Chevre, from Feta to Red Dragon, from Parmesan to Velveeta, I adore it. I'm currently enjoying an English Cheddar with Caramelized onions. MMMMmmmmmmmmm. What's your favorite cheese?

10 Comments:

  • SO much to agree with...

    Ears: I guiltily swab them out every day, living in fear that I will get a cotton tip stuck and will have to have it taken out by a doctor as happened to a college roommate.

    Clicker: I also do not have this, which no one can fathom.

    Courageous Conversation: Sigh.

    Cheese: Mmmmmmm! I love Velveeta! And brie! Because what's not to love?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:17 AM  

  • Yeah, I'm a Q-Tip kinda girl myself...:)

    Clicker...two words: GET ONE! :)

    And I LOVE a sharp cheddar cheese (especially with dill pickles!!!:)

    By Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen, At 8:35 AM  

  • I cannot go longer than like 20 minutes without using a q-tip. Its a real problem.

    Choosing a favorite cheese is kind of like choosing a favorite song or movie or book...there are just too many good ones. Though I would never kick a block of swiss out of bed for eating crackers...or whatever that is they say about crackers in bed.

    By Blogger portuguesa nova, At 9:04 AM  

  • No clicker? I'm surprised you're prepared to show your face in public.

    I would suggest toe cheese, but that would be gross. My fav cheese is....drum roll....unpasteurised brie.

    This post was brought to you by 'twatska'.

    By Blogger garfer, At 9:20 AM  

  • I am not obsessive about the ears but don't seem to get much wax, my dog on the other hand requires constant wrastling to the ground and plucking and cleaning-its an adventure (which we both hate!)

    My favorite cheese is Havarti.

    By Blogger Kyahgirl, At 10:45 AM  

  • Ohhh....Havarti's good.

    Real good.

    (is it pathetic that I'm checking back for the cheeses?)

    By Blogger portuguesa nova, At 12:27 PM  

  • Hell no! Check back.

    Saint Andre, Saint Paulin, Saint Nectaire, Port Salut, P'tit Basque, Comte, Gruyere, Emmenthal, Chevre, Brie, Parmesan, Ricotta, Buffala Mozzarella, Fontina, Cheddar, Wensleydale, Red Dragon, Cotswolds, Muenster, Havarti, Jarlsberg, you name it!

    By Blogger Peevish McSnark, At 3:22 PM  

  • Ears: Don't clean them much. Don't seem to need to...though I *DID* once have that problem where they get so plugged up you have to have them cleaned professionally. Evidently this is not particularly a symptom of bad hygiene, simply a random thing that happens to some people. Really odd though.

    Cheese: Alas I'm a bit of a pedestrian-- I can't take the stronger cheeses like blue, sharp cheddar, etc. I'm a sucker for mozza, muenster, havarti, provolone, etc. Oh and the bestest thing ever-- Wensleydale with cranberries. There's a local grocery that carries it and man is it good!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:08 PM  

  • Smelly too, but Danish Blue!

    By Blogger S.I.D., At 7:37 PM  

  • Crumbly Lancashire/parmesan/dolcelatte

    Race is weird thing. I resent the popular opinion (from most white equality and diversity officers) that all white people are racists and that those from ethnic minorities are downtrodden slaves to white man's oppression. Irrespective of racial backgroound, much of the oppression is in people's own attitudes and aspirations. People caught in the poverty trap have the same problems and issues getting out of it whether they're black, white or Asian - in the UK at least.

    By Blogger Sniffy, At 9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home